What's new

Hi, I am new to HT stuff...need help on start up speakers (1 Viewer)

MurthyK

Auditioning
I've just bought a Yamaha 5550 receiver and am looking for a 5.1 speaker system. I've ordered KLH 9670 but got feeling that it could be of very low quality even for a start up..

I know and understand from my reading over several threads, that most of u hate BOSE for whatever the reason.
I've had a chance to listen only to BOSE and never had listened to any thing of that or better quality.
So, compared to Bose lifestyle systems, how this KLH stuff perform..!!

is there anything else thats good around $200 range !!
let me put it this way, if I want to beat BOSE, whats the minimum price I have to put fr the speakers (5.1) with the receiver mentioned.

so whats you suggestion when my budget is around $300, $500 for the speakers(5.1)

I am mostly interested in surround sound than loud stuff...I'll never use it loudly..I'll use it for soft music, dvd movies..etc..audio Cd's too.
so I am not looking at 200 watt sub.
I'll be using the HT in a basement of 20 X 30
or may be in a living room of size 17 X 25
nothing abnormal..I guess its very normal/minimum requirement.

One thing I've noticed in several threads is that as the speaker size reduces, the distance should also be limited.!!
if thats true, then I should go for floor speaker instead of small satellite speakers..
whats the minimum things to look for when buying a speaker.

I wish thers a speaker buyer guide somewhere..may be its there..just that I don't know.!!
anyway, any help and ideas are welcome and most valuable for me..

-Thanks and appreciate your help
Murthy

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Let me make a recommendation for the Energy Take 5+1's you can pick these up for less than $700 bux these days and they will work quite well with the Yamaha receiver. I've got a Yamaha RXV-730 (about 2 steps up from yours) running these and they sound absolutely awesome. I've got quite a few people who have come over to listen to my setup and have become believers in these little speakers. Dont misunderstand me I am in no way saying these are the best speakers in the world or nething like that as I realize there are much much much better setups out there. But for the money and especially the size they will truely surprise you.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
A lot of people seem to like the Athena's at Best Buy. You might check them out. I personally like the RTi series from Polk. I have the RTi25's for my rear surrounds (7.1) and really like them. Hope this helped:)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Take a look at Link Removed the have Micros that you can make a 5.1 out of. Thats what I will be using for rears. I think they have a combo with them now that comes with a sub.

MurthyK

Auditioning
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Let me chekout all htese options.
I am more inclined to Onkyo since it always got good feedback and cruchfield also recommends it big time..
-Thanks again
Murthy

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
At the $400 level, the Acoustic Research HC6 package is very good. Used to be a reasonable value at ~$800. Very good value at the lower price.

MurthyK

Auditioning
Now I am more inclined to HC6.
I've read good reviews out here and some other places about A/R.
how does these HC6 and onkyo stuff match to BOSE lifestyle systems?
I am not at all a Bose pro..
I am just curious since thats the only reference I've.
-Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
First a few caveats: I have not heard the specific Onkyo system, but I am familiar with their overall product line and I have not heard every Bose Lifestyle system so you should take these comments with the usual grain of salt (and I don’t plan on engaging in a Bose-bashing—I’m trying to just state my views, based on some fundemental priciples.). I’ll try to give a few examples of the problems that the Bose systems have in general so you can get some idea as to why some other systems might provide better value for your money.

All for the Bose Lifestyle systems are based on their ‘Jewel Cubes’ for the five satellite speakers and an ‘Acoustimass’ speaker for the bass and the lower mid-range. This is highly popular because the tiny Jewel Cubes can be placed very unobtrusively and the bass module hidden out of sight. But here are the drawbacks: the Jewel Cubes’ drivers are really tweeters and only are capable of reproducing the upper midrange through high frequencies well. Adding even more mid-range responsibilities to these speakers results in an overall lack of detail as they struggle to try to do too much.

The same is true (at the other end of the frequency spectrum) of the ‘acoutimass’ speaker—note that this is not presented as a subwoofer. This speaker must handle everything from the very lowest notes through the lower mid-range, again resulting in a compromise that does nothing very well. And in particular, the principle that single subwoofers rely on—that very low frequencies (20hz–100hz or so) are not easy for the human ear to localize (which is why you only need one and can place it in a variety of locations) begins to fall apart as higher frequencies are reproduced—say 250hz. All of this means that the imaging expected in a stereo or 5.1 system is not very good.

This means that these systems reproduce the lowest frequencies not nearly as well as a subwoofer, the mid-range not nearly as well as real mid-range speakers and the high end not as well as tweeters. They are most deficient in the mid-range—a frequency especially important in HT, where the center channel gets nearly all of the dialogue.

Therefore, imo, these systems do not produce adequate detail, seamless reproduction across the frequency spectrum, proper imaging or really good sound for LFE and mid-range.

The Acoustic Research HC6 and the Onkyo address most of these problems by having their front and surround speakers contain both a tweeter and mid-range (4”) driver. I am pretty sure that the HC6 center has two mid-range drivers—not sure about the Onkyo, but it might. So the possibility exists for mid-range though the high frequencies to be reproduced properly (and the speaker with the voice duties has two drivers to handle the part of the spectrum). Both have real subwoofers so you have a chance to get proper LFE.

Which all means that the problems mentioned above are addressed.

Of course these are not perfect systems (but they don’t cost that much). The HC6 sub does not get the very lowest notes with full effect, nor should it be expected to—it still does far better than the Bose.

Hope this helps. Again I’m guessing on this particular Onkyo, but I don’t think that I’m too far off.

In the end go and listen and decide for yourself. Don’t let the salesmen crank the volume too high. A really good test is to listen to some quiet passages to catch the detail. Any buy what sounds best to you.

MurthyK

Auditioning
Thanks a lot guys.
I've just ordered HC6 from etronics for 300 + 45(SHIPPING)
J& R has more for the shipping. thats why I went with etronics..
Now the most commonly asked questions..
what cable should I buy for this..?
as I said, I've yamaha 5550.
I'll listen to some quite music, dvd movies..etc..
will never crank up the stuff.
Thanks

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
For cable go to a place like Home Depot or even WalMart and pick up some 16 or 14 gage wire. If you dont have a wire stripping tool get one of those too. Strip about a 1/2" or 3/4" off the end of each wire, wind the strands nice and tight, carefully connect the wire so that no single strands are sticking out and you're good to go. Have fun and congratulations on your new system!!!

MurthyK

Auditioning
well now few more questions..!!!
I've DVD player with fiber optic out put.
Is it a good idea to connect that to my yamaha receiver..??
and the video to TV..?
will that give me good set up.
I've 2 VCRs and a DVD player.
I am planning to connect all audio channels to my receiver and vedios to TV as usual...?
whats the general setup..I mean most commonly followed protocol..?

-Thanks
Murthy

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, you have the right idea. Connect the digital optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver for the best sound. Connecting all of your video sources directly to the TV is also a good idea. The only thing I would recommend is that if your DVD player has progressive scan and your TV has component input then use component cables. (not to be confused with composite or basic a/v cables). The next best thing from component video cables would be to connect your DVD player to your TV with S-video cables if your TV has S-Video input.
Good luck!!

P.S. You will probably also want to connect your TV's audio into your receiver. Just use the standard RCA type audio cables for this.

MurthyK

Auditioning
Cool, This is wonderful. I just got my Yamaha receiver and waiting on the HC6 speakers.I've to go and buy the 14 guage speaker wire and the optical fibre for auio now. I guess I am all set up with this..
Thanks a bunch to all of you and the forum and the admin guys. :)

-Thanks
Murthy

MurthyK

Auditioning
I got my HC6 yesterday.
I am wondering if I need to know little more about the cables..!! all the four small speakers have two input sockets(banana), red and black color coded. so from the receiver I,ve to run two cables o each speaker..? or one cable that come with the mechanism of two cables inside and can be connected that way to speaker from the receiver?
has anyone has similar setup? Please do let me know. I am going to buy the optical connector today and start connecting the setup.
-Thanks
Murthy

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Just to clear things up are you saying that your speakers have a total of 2 connections (one black and one red) or do you mean 2 sets of connections (2 black and 2 red)?
If its just 1 black and 1 red then connect your speaker wire from the receiver (which also has 2 connections for each speaker) to the speakers. Speaker wire is made up of 2 seperate lines. One for positive and one for negative. Just make sure that you use the same "side" of the wire for positive on both the receiver and the speaker. Your receiver is probably color coded red and black just like the speakers. Connect black to black and red to red. If you cut your own speaker wire strip about 3/4" of the plastic off the ends and then twist the strands nice and tight. Make sure theres no loose strands hanging out. When you strip the ends try not to cut into any of the strands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks