Hi-Def buying strategy question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Torquil, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Torquil

Torquil Agent

All - I've been very impressed by all your comments on the blu-ray vs hd-dvd debate.

I've finally entered the HD scene in the most "toe-in-the-water"/cost effective sense by buying the hd-dvd add-on for the xbox360 - and will be buying the PS3 aswell when it's out here in the UK at the end of March, mainly because it's the cheapest available blu-ray player - not that bothered by the fact it plays games too.

I have to say, given hardware out there and about to hit the market, and the catalogue (both existing and promised) my gut feel is that blu-ray will win. However, Universal will only support HDDVD (at least for the next year).

So my strategy is to buy only blu-ray discs excepting those titles produced by Universal, which I'll obviously buy on HD-DVD. My thought here is that I'll only have to replace those discs when Universal capitulates and starts producing blu-ray. Let me know your thoughts.

The other thing I'd like your views on is whether or not I should be buying the discs from the US, where they're about half the price? Will region coding go ahead? Will the xbox/ps3 play them? Will region free players crop up in the same way as for standard def?

thanks all.
    TW

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Supposedly, even if HD-DVD implements region coding in the future, current devices won't recognize it.

3. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Your strategy is very much in-line with my own gut feelings and I have recently been doing basically, the same kind of purchasing plan.

Paul

4. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I purchased the HD-DVD player for Xbox 360 but am holding off on buying a Blu-Ray player. I do believe that Blu-Ray will eventually win, but I managed to get the 360 add-on for $120. That combined with a Netflix subscription is a shockingly cheap way to jump in to HD. I'll eventually add a Blu-Ray player when they come down in price a little. The $400 range is about as high as I want to go. I may get a PS3 because you get a game system along with the player, but the 360 takes up what little game playing time I have.

So I'll have the Blu-Ray player and those discs will make up the majority of my HD collection. I'll always have the HD-DVD for the 360, which is a relatively small player and I don't mind keeping it around for the dozen or so HD-DVDs I have purchased.