What's new

Hi Def Audio on Blu Ray vs SACD? (1 Viewer)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
What is the potential for hi-definition audio on blu-ray compared to SACD?

I'm still growing my SACD collection and have picky ears, but I was 'subjectively' impressed with the audio on the David Gilmour "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" blu-ray. The specs listed were 'only' PCM stereo 48kHz/24bit or Dolby TrueHD surround 48kHz/24bit.

Quality audio on blu-ray is clearly not standard (I was far less impressed with the Elton John anniversary concert blu-ray). But the Gilmour disk intrigued me about the potential for audio on blu-ray. Anyone knowledgeable on the best that blu-ray could do with audio? Any music / concert blu-ray recommendations?

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I should clarify - I posted in hardware because I'm curious about the technical potential of the format, rather than discussing software. Still, software recommendations would also be appreciated.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
The potential is great for high resolution audio on Blu-ray, at least in terms of technical specifications. Blu-ray can do 7.1 surround sound at 96kHz/24-bit and 192kHz/24-bit stereo and 192kHz/24-bit 5.1 surround. Capacity means hours of music can be put on a single disc. SACD might sound better or might not sound as good, that would be a matter of opinion. The truth is, SACD is a tiny niche format, won't have many popular music releases going forward and will never be anything more than that but we don't know what Blu-ray might do. Right now there is very little interest in releasing music, other than concerts, on Blu-ray but that could change in a year or two.

I believe there will be some high resolution music releases and a push by the industry to sell music on Blu-ray and I personally hope it will be a big success, Blu-ray is the best format yet for music in my opinion.

I have the Elton John 60 Blu-ray and believe the video and audio quality are both excellent. I own about 200 SACD's and 150 DVD-A's and both of those formats can be abandonned now in favor of Blu-ray and I will be very happy. Our best chance is to have one format, not three fighting for this market segment.

Chris

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Neil Young is releasing a 10 disc Blu-Ray music collection next month Http://www.mojolists.com and there are a few classical music only discs already available. I think over the next year we will see more and more of this format.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No idea if traditional audio-only releases would ever get anywhere w/ Blu-ray, but concerts (and operas, etc.) should certainly be no-brainers for the format me thinks.

I recently took the plunge on the La Traviata BD that features Angela Gheorghiu, and it's making me excited about buying some opera titles again after feeling a bit let down previously by DVDs in this area.

And oh, The Police: Certifiable BD (w/ DTS-HD/MA audio) also kicks some! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

BTW, IIRC, DTS-HD/MA is supposed to offer (slightly) higher potential than Dolby TrueHD, no?

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks