What's new

Hey!You guys!Long time no see! (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Another activity of the Festival is the making and eating of a kind of dumpling called Tzungtzu. When it became known that Chu Yuan was gone forever, the people, living along the river, threw cooked rice into the water as a sacrifice to their dead hero. The local fishermen were later told in a dream that the fish, not Chu Yuan, got the rice. Therefore, the next time that they threw rice into the river, they first stuffed it into bamboo sections. This started the custom that has evolved into its present-day version: rice wrapped in bamboo leaves, stuffed with ham, beans, bean paste, salted egg yokes, sausages, nuts, and/or vegetables. ( In the picture is Kristin Jia-Ning Seid sampling a Tzungtzu at the House of China Dragon Boat Celebration, 1996. )
Hi Yumi, yes, I'm going to try to find some "Jong" (Have no idea how to transcribe it in English, but in Cantonese it sounds like that. With the amount of rain we're getting this spring, I think I can just float it down the road I live on!! :) but I'm going to try to find a store near me that sells them on my bike ride home. My grandparents used to be able to make them all the time, including the folding of the bamboo leaves but my parents never learned it from them. I like everything but the egg yolks so I'm always picking them out.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Me, personally not a lot of knowledge, but I get to hear all the stories from my parent's childhood living in Guangzhou! My parents have lots of cool stories when they were young...

Jay

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yumi, I have to ask: Are you excited that your country will launch its first astronauts into space in October? With Shenzhou 5, China becomes only the third country in history to develop a manned space program. That's something about which to be very proud. JB

Yumi

Stunt Coordinator
[SIZE=no]I had to say that I am very proud of that!
Each country in the world should do what they can do to explore the unknown world.China has done what she could do.And she became the big part of this huge program through all Chinese people's effort. Best wishes to these heros![/SIZE]

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Now that I've stuffed myself on "Jong"....I can't wait until October. Maybe they will celebrate my birthday by scheduling the blast off on that date :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks