What's new

Hey guys, Im new here. Need some Guidance (1 Viewer)

LucasL

Grip
Hello, my name is Lucas Lasley. I don't know much about HT but i need something for my room. I know a lot about car audio but its probably 2 different ballgames.

First off let me tell you what im looking for. I want to be able to use this "system" as 1. my computer speakers. 2. be able to use this while watching tv and or DVDs. and 3. a regular cd player.

Im a DIY guy and would build the enclosures my self. I think what I'm looking for is a 5.1 system. but am not sure. im looking for 2 front speakers, 2 rear, center ch, and 1 sub. I have heard the center channel is most important.
i have a 12 Dayton titanic MKII sub i will use. I was looking at the 250 watt plate amp from partsexpress also to power it.

i need help with a receiver and front, rear, and center speakers.

I would like to keep the cost under $400. the 400 is for crossovers, front and rear and center speakers, amps, receiver, wires and all.

i have sub and wood already.

THANKS guys!

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
Search the DIY forum. $400 for a receiver and 5 speakers is a pretty slim budget, but mine isn't much bigger, so I understand. I bought a Harman Kardon AVR-125 refurbished on ebay from Harman Audio which cam to about $230, and it's awesome. Visit www.speakerbuilder.net and look at the Dayton Home Theater project. Building 5 of those should keep you within budget if you keep the receiver a bit under $200. Just search froogle.com for a cheap receiver. What kind of wood do you have? make sure you use MDF for the best results. That's all for now, good luck.

LucasL

Grip
thanks for the link. I was thinking of the dayton speakers and tweeters also. to make a complete dayton set-up. When i build a box for the center chanel is it any diffrent than the other enclosures?

Btw,I have tons of 3/4" MDF here. no worries. i dont know much about hhow crossovers work in HT. wouldnt i need a plate amp to power sub? and satelite( i think thats what they're called) are powered by the reciever? i can get a stryke audio 350 watt plate amp for $140 shipped.

any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
You would just make 5 identical enclosures and if you needed to you could turn the center speaker on its side.

Tons of MDF huh? Wanna send me some:D The 250 watt plate amp from parts express would have plenty of power for only $128, I thought the stryke amp was more than that. If you can solder the crossovers are easy to put together, and if you can't solder it's easy to learn.

LucasL

Grip
THANKS! I dont have tons, just 1 4x8 sheet then a 2x4 sheet.:D

im getting it from a friend. the stryke amp that is. he hooked it up once so its practically brand new. Also if i go through with the deal i will be getting 2 tangband 704c 8" subs. nasty little things with 12mm xmax one way!:D

the model up in win isd VERy similar the the RE 8" sub. for a fraction of the price.

i have soldered a couple wire before. not to much. im sure i can handle it. i have one of the weller soldering spike from PE.

would i get the crossovers from PE also.

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
Those Tang Bands look like some pretty serious 8" woofers, I'm tempted to go buy a couple, they're so cheap, but I'm already building a Stryke AV15 subwoofer.
Yes, you could get the parts from Parts Express, if you can't get the exact values for the components just try and get them as close as possible. Don't use electrolytic capacitors. Use non-inductive resistors. This is probably covered at the Dayton Home Theater project page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks