What's new

hey COOL! I think i got a job! But i might get another one! which to choose?! (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
So awhile ago, i dropped off my resume for a major canadian sporting goods store called SPORT CHEK. Yesterday i got a call from them saying they want to interview me. So I go today at noon, and do my interview... it was okay, not spectacular, but i think i did okay on it. The interviewer said she'd call me tomorrow, or if not, i have to call her. This job is probably to get some experience, and some $.
So then ends the interview.
I go have lunch with my brother and my dad in the same mall, before we get to the food court, my dad sees a kiosk selling computer stuff, but it was real unique stuff. Mini 8cm CDRs/CDRWs, business card CDRs, Mini 8cm CD MP3 players, a FLASH memory USB hard disk, etc. My dad told me about the kiosk awhile ago, and showed me a brochure of the USB storage device, i was kinda impressed, but i didn't think too much of it. So today, we see it again, he says hello to the owner of the kiosk whom my dad knows quite well as i think they talked for awhile before. They talk abour the new products etc., and at the end, my dad tells the owner that if they need help, im looking for a job. The owner was like 'REALLY?!' she was really looking for help, so she says 'its $8 an hour, whaddya think?' im like 'THATS GREAT!!!' despearetly needing a job... So im supposda call her tuesday...
Now heres my dilemma... Which job should i take? SportChek might pay a bit more (im not sure), and its more professional. The Kiosk is smaller, and more flexible for me (like i might be able to read my english novel or something during non-busy hours), it could count towards my career-related work experience of 30 hours for a CAREER AND PERSONAL PLANNING course in school, and i probably have the job for sure if i call her tuesday.
If SportsChek calls tomorrow, what do i do? Do i take it, and then call on tuesday and see the situation? Do i refuse the SC job and hope i get the job at the kiosk?
Help? Im currently thinking of just refusing the SC job and get the Kiosk job if they call. If sportschek doesnt call, then even better, ill go for the computer kiosk one.
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If it's a kiosk job in the mall, there's always the risk of it not doing well and closing down it's business in that particular building. I can't tell you how many of those kiosk type business have started up and left our local mall. But you do get flexible hours as you pointed out & the business seems to be doing good.
With a big store like Sport Chek you'll always have a boss in the same place as you so you can't relax/goof off as much. But you can probably get decent store discounts and have better job security. Plus you'll get better experience with cust service and how retail works.
I've had both types of jobs. I prefer the small jobs that let you work alone w/o a boss breathing down your neck keeping you busy all hours of the day. I say take the kiosk job. If you find that it bores the hell out of you, I'm sorry.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
I would take the Kiosk job. Forget about goofing off though, how would like to tell your dad why you were fired after he helped get you a job? Taking a break or a breather is one thing, but to me goofing off is the same as stealing. (Your being paid to work.)
In the kiosk you will learn everything you need to know very fast. The owner will help you and be right there to teach you what is necessary. But no matter what you are taught, keep eyes and ears open and you will catch on. It's not unusual for bright employees who stay focused to soon become better at the job than the boss.
The biggest difference between the unpacking and restocking job at Sport Chec and working at the Kiosk is that you will be a very important and visable person in the Kiosk from day one. You will also meet dozens of girls every week!
I would call the Kiosk owner ASAP for a commitment. Meanwhile, follow the instructions of Sports Chec, and tell them you want to know the details (Wages and hours) and that you'd like to discuss it with your parents before making a final decision.
I'd wish you luck, but you don't don't need any luck. You just have to think this through and make a decision.
crazy.gif

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
From what i hear so far, i guess ill go for the kiosk job...
I dont goof around alot, so that wont be a problem..
as for the girls.. i dont think so.. the mall this kiosk is at is kinda boring to teenagers, so only like young kids (toysrus) and older ppl go there.. damn.. ohwell.. :)
------------------

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Take the job at the kiosk. First off, there will me more hours for you since there is less staff. Second, I doubt that Sportchek pays more than minimum wage, so $8.00 would be more right?
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Yeah, i thik $7.15 or $7.80 is min...
damn tree-hugging hippy government :)
it's only $5.90 out here in alberta.
From what i hear sport chek jobs are much harder to get than you've told so far. I know they used to make their employees take a test on the department they were going to be working in to ensure they had good product knowledge.
I'd proceed to call sport chek as a backup if you haven' heard from the kiosk lady by tuesday

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
What are your career aspirations ? If they are anything related to hi-technology, then take the kiosk job, go for it ! Use this job as a resume-builder.
Successful sales of hi-tech products show product knowledge and good communication skills, which is something desparately lacking in many hi-tech employees. It will be an ace later on your resume.
Another tip is longevity. Since you are new to the job market, it's easy to flit from one job to another when you see an extra dollar/hour raise. Future employers will be analyzing the longevity of your previous positions. While I'm not advocating staying in a dead-end job you dislike, an extra .50/hour doing a job that is not related to your future career will hinder more than help.
Good Luck !

brentl

Senior HTF Member
But Mark remember all the money you save in taxes!!
CONFIRM that you have a job a the kiosk first. If your dad knows the owner well call them at home and mention that Sport Chek may call you ... see how serious they are..
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
alright well what third world country was this nike golf shirt manufactured?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...part 2 of that question goes something like, "and how long does it take a dozen 6 year olds making ten cents a day to knit it? (don't forget to account for the usual productivity delays such as dehydration, passing out from exhaustion, and the inevitable bite from one of the five dozen rabid rats loose in the factory)"
I passed that test with flying colors...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Nice.. The owner of the kiosk called my dad today, and told him that I can go to the kiosk and start the coming sunday (Oct. 14)!
------------------

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Congratulations Nick! You have always seemed to me like person who will succeed at many things in life. Be patient and forge ahead, your future is awaiting your arrival!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You are the kiosk god!!! Everyone on this forum must now bow down to NickSo.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Mwahahaha...
Whew, i just finished my first paid time at work... it was only 2 hours because i had a class right beside the mall i work at, so i was like 'what the hell, 2 hours, why not...'
selling stuff was okay.. Sold stuff to about.. 6-8 customers... At the end, that was hell... Theres supposda be a tarp covering the kiosk, well i THOUGHT it was in one compartment of the kiosk... when i closed, i couldnt find the damn thing, looked everwhere... The lady in the kiosk beside me helped me out, i borrowed her cellphione to call my boss, but the lady was in a hurry, and i couldnt finish it... I found the tarp like 30 minutes after close, in a hidden compartment.. I took it out, satrted hanging it up... DOH! the thing was on wrong.. I had to take it off, and rehook everything.. There, it was hung... But then the stools had to be in the tarp... The drawstring at the bottom was tied tight, so i couldnt just slide it under... i had to unzip the whole tarp and stick it in... After that, i realized i didnt have the key! So i crawled under the tarp, and found the key, crawled back out... there, it was done... Ugh... Hey, im closing on the first day of work... gimme a break!
Well, i open tomorrow at 11:00am, and work till 3... yay, $48 in my pocket tomorrow afternoon... :)
Whew!
------------------

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Congrats on the job! I want to see some upgrades to that HT as soon as you save up enough. I hope your paycheck can handle Mena Suvari!
biggrin.gif

------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Users who are viewing this thread