Hey Austin Texas Buddies? Can anyone help me out?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by mike_frontier, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Ok here are a couple of pics. My camera batteries died mid shoot so this is all that made it.

I still have to do some touch up painting, finish installing the molding, and mount the plexiglass over the monitor. But its functionally complete and so the motivation to finish it has waned in favor of destroying a few more aliens.

Let me know what you think. Eventually it will make it into the game room along side the pinball game and my foosball table.

-Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Oh no! Help me! I'm starting to get interested! MDF, sawing, drilling, glueing...Nooooo!
    Must concentrate on radical speaker design, and poker, and women, and...

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Hank I am trying to convince a friend, who I have thoroughly converted to the dark side of SET's and High Efficiency speaks, to pick up a pair of kit speakers from Audio Note. I have been telling him that I have a friend who would love to help assemble them if he decides to go this route, hopefully you wouldn't mind right:b .

He is currently running Maggie 3.6R's but between listening to mine and then that really high end SET set-up I told you about he is pretty much set on starting over.
    This is a picture of the assembled kit:
    [​IMG]

4. Hank Frankenberg

For a price, right. [​IMG] Remember, I have two kids in college and a third starting next month. [​IMG]

5. Jay.H

Jay.H Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    The arcade looks great! I showed it to Laura and she was pretty excited about the prospect of it. I'm willing to go it alone, but maybe we should move this topic to the Austin DIY thread and flesh out the prospect of a meet.

6. Jay.H

Jay.H Stunt Coordinator

Nils,
    I am considering using binders to store portions of my dvd collection. Back in February, you proclaimed your satisfaction with the 120 disc capacty binders you received.

7. Humphrey

Humphrey Stunt Coordinator

I want one of those MAME machines. I actually have a cousing in Atlanta that had a 3 bedroom house that has somewhere around a hundred of the original machines. Beau coup buckerinis there. Not an empty room in the place and I don't think he can turn more than about 20 on with tripping circuit breakers. One cabinet for multiple games is the bomb. His brother here in Austin has a mame machine as well like the one pictured above in Dave's post. Just not quite as nice.

As long as I can play Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Defender, Joust, and Galaga I'm in. Sounds like we need to do a couple of build days on this and the idea of a flat panel instead of the monitor sounds good. But what size? If you start pushing a 19" or 20" LCD you start spending a lot more money on the LCD panel. I have several rackmount cpu's that might just fill the bill for the machine though....

Man, now there's another can of worms y'all've gone and opened... [​IMG]

8. Hank Frankenberg

You guys are outta control...but...Asteroids Deluxe...NO, must not go there...but...mmmm...

9. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

I've been super-interested in building a mame cabinet. Your's looks great, Dave! What size monitor is that?

I'm almost finished cleaning out my downstairs garage / shop and would be happy to host a mame-cabinet-group-build meet. Unfortunately, it'd have to be in September (August is pretty booked up). If I could convince someone with a pickup trick to pick up a bunch of sheets of MDF, even better! [​IMG]

10. Humphrey

My wagon is available. It will easily haul full 4 x8 sheets of plywood without breaking a sweat.[​IMG]

11. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Dave, that's a great looking cabinet! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm definitely interested in making one myself so count me in on a group DIY project. I have an extra 17" monitor, but I'll have to go shopping around for a PC. I wonder if it would be better to get an older Mac to avoid any 'hic-ups'? Or is there better support for Windows MAME software?

12. Humphrey

FWIW: I have at least 4-5 older macs capable of running OS8 or better if people want to run MacMAME. I'm just now researching how to do it with a mac right now. According to Dave there's emulators for pretty much all the popular platforms.

13. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

For $300 you can get a Dell Dimension with a monitor, so don't spend more than that for a MAME PC.

I bought a Dell Dimension 4700 for 449, got a free 19" LCD, sold the LCD $230 and bought a cheap 19" CRT for $50. Then I moved my old PC into the cabinet and I have a new 3.0Ghz PC for my media server.

I think the support is probably better for Windows. All of the keyboard emulators I know of are PC specific. Keep in mind that for mame you run the bare minimum OS install. Without all the crap running in the background, its pretty stable. Just deinstall everything except MAME. You can also run Linux if you want.

I'm going to burn some CDs for you guys, just give me a few days and we can all hook up. The CDs have all the mame cabinet plans, DIY instructions, cabinet art, etc.

-Dave

14. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Hey guys,

I'm selling my Adcom GFA-7400 5x100wpc amp. It's in flawless condition. $550 firm and I'll deliver anywhere in Austin.

15. Humphrey

I've been doing some research and there are several keyboard emulators that have USB ports and will work with a Mac, specifically the I-PACVE or their Opti-Pac interface or the Hagstrom KE-USB36. there was another one but I can't remember the link right now and forgot to bookmark it. Some have the usb connector right on the emulator board, others use a Serial/KB style connector and include a Serial>USB adapter cable.

I would suggest we build the cabinets using all USB emulators that way the broadest selection of computers are possible. Upgrades later on are easily accomplished with that single connection.

I have MacMame installed on my G5 right now, I need to crank up the PC and install MAME there and then look at the quality of the interface and moving between different game ROM's.

16. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Shoot, looks like another of my posts didn't show up. I have some spare PC parts in my garage, enough to build a Duron 1GHZ machine and a couple of Pentium II's as well as a Pentium 120. Any of these should be powerful enough to run MAME, though the Pentium 120 is an AT mobo, so no usb ports there. Could add in a PCI card if needed. Also keep in mind, if you're trying to do this on the cheap you can avoid the Microsoft licensing fee by using Linux. Knoppix has a well regarded MAME distro for Linux, and I'm sure there are keyboard emus that work with it. If anyone wants any of my parts, you can come assemble a PC for $50. I'll help out, I just want the stuff out of my garage.

17. Jay.H

Jay.H Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan,
    Let me the first to opt in on the $50 PC. I like the AMD processors and would like to take you up on the Duron machine. Just let me know when you want me over to build it.

18. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

I doubled checked, and it looks like the AMD processor I have is not a Duron, I gave that one to my neighbor's daughter. Instead it's an old Athlon 600Mhz. Still interested?

How much disk space is required for MAME? I think the hard drives I have are pretty small, like 10GB small.

19. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

My little bro is looking for old mobo/cpu sets if you have anything leftover. Doesn't need to have anything else.

20. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer