What's new

Herringbone wavy lines (1 Viewer)

mark laf

Auditioning
Hi.Our cable tv is split to 4 tvs and the signals kinda snowy and weak so i hooked up a signal amplifier.Now im getting wavy lines in some(most) of my channels especially on one particular tv.I know the amps causing this problem but without it the picture sucks.Is it getting to much signal with the amp?Is there a filter i can use on this one tv?Any suggestion would be appreciated.Thanks..Mark

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Could be a number of things , bad amp , poor cabling , etc. But it could also be too much amplification. An amplified splitter is usually the first device to try in your situation. 0-5 db gain is all that is usually needed in simple systems. How much did you add?

Using an amplifier along with a separate splitter (and attenuators -not filters) takes some calculations or experimenting to balance the signal correctly.

mark laf

Auditioning
Thanks for your responce.I have the cable from outside going into a 10db amp into a 3 way spitter.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I suspect that the amp is just a poor one. Does the picture look OK if you bypass the splitter and amp and run a straight feed to one set only ? If it looks bad under those conditions then amplifying a bad signal usually gets worse. If it looks poor just feeding one set then the cable company needs to be called to correct their problems before you try to extend the signal. Sometimes a cable company may have locations that can't be improved without major renovations to their system. Other than that trial and error may be all that you can do trying various devices to correct the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks