What's new

Heroes - Season Three (1 Viewer)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
My husband and I are really looking forward to the new season. The previews have really got me excited about it. Not only that, but I have been listening to the 10th wonder podcast and that has added more fuel to the fire for us.

I was hoping to go back and rewatch S1&2, but was never able to do so. I am glad that they are doing a recap, because it has been a while and I don't fully remember everything.

Look forward to a lively discussion about the show with everyone!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I just did a marathon of seasons 1 & 2 as I had never seen the show and wanted to get caught up before the new season started. Like most here, I thought S1 was great and S2 was a HUGE disappointment(until the last couple of episodes). I think Sylar getting his powers back bodes well for this new season as the lack of a true villain was the main problem with S2 IMHO.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Yeah, I don't know if I'm watching the recap either. The football game adds to my already busy Monday schedule lol.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I didn't get a chance to watch the S2 Blu-rays yet so I have to watch the recap.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Me and my wife also decided to devote the entire top portion of our Netflix Queue to watching Seasons 1 and 2.

We are so hooked and blasting through the episodes each night staying up way too late. Haha. I think we are about halfway through season 1 now, our current disc is almost done, with the other 2 going back today. So we will be without Heroes without a day or two. But I can get more sleep!

I have seen that Season 2 wasn't popular, but I'm still anxious to see it. We love the show. Already got the DVR set to tape Season 3 till we can watch it.

Next series we need to do this with is LOST, which we've sadly never seen.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am glad the show is back. S2 essentially lived up to my fears, i.e., that it would be impossible to recapture the magic of S1. But it also committed far worse sins that. I just hope this third season merely lives up to my original fears

--
H

Joe_H

Screenwriter
That recap sucked. I fast forwarded through it, because I forgot most of last year and I was hoping it would show enough to remind me, and it didn't help at all, it was mostly just the party. I know they want to forget last year, but more to job the memory would be good. I totally forgot Nathan was shot for example.

I thought the first half of the premiere was great. I didn't realize it was a two hour episode, so I'm taking a little break before watching the second half, but it seems to me like they learned from their mistakes so far.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. It's like a different team of writers wrote season two, and then the writers from the first season came back for season three. It had everything that season two didn't: shocking surprises, forward momentum, interesting characters, insane plot twists. Even the dialogue was sharper. It probably didn't hurt that this is my first season watching the digital OTA broadcast. I'm using my same old analog TV with the Zenith DTA box, but it's still like watching the eventual DVD now (with commercials, unfortunately.)

But yeah, Tim Kring heard us all loud and clear.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Agreed. The recap episode still was horrible and didn't recap anything, but as I watched I remembered more about what happened at the end of last season.

The two new ones though were great. And even had a few little nods to the fans, like finally finding out Peter's mother's ability as well as Elle's father's, Sylar being asked about eating brains, and a couple others I've forgotten already lol.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
My feelings are mixed on the first two hours. It seemed very busy and unnecessarily convoluted. Too many people with superpowers and too many characters flipping sides or seeming to. I also found Dr. Suresh's actions ie injecting himself with the serum in conflict with the character established in previous seasons.

This series is going to end up being a case study in why the overuse of time travel becomes a bad story device. It kills any tension because when things get too tough a character can wink out and come back later to try and fix the problem again. It also raises far too many questions. For starters why wasn't Mama Petrelli concerned about The Butterfly Effect in Season One?

This season could end on a Bobby Ewing stepping out of shower moment if its not careful.

I'll tune in for a couple of more shows but methinks the cooks are using too many recipes from the cooking book.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Yes, and the proof is right there in the little aside about Sylar eating brains.

I left this episode with a lot of questions. What did Sylar do to Claire? Is she the light? Why can't she ever die? Didn't we think if her head were severed Highlander style, she'd die? Is her power the same as Adam's? Adam may not be gone!

- Sylar questions his parentage.
- Not only do we get Sylar, but a whole collection of baddies
- Sylar makes himself practically unstoppable, and gets stopped, all in the same episode. I'm not sure how they were keeping him subdued.
- WTH was going on with Nikki?
- What's the deal with Nathan/Linderman?
- Mohinder is officially off the reservation.
- Does death eyes get involved with everyone who helps her? First it was Sylar, now Mohinder.

I could go on and on. The 2hr premiere was just chock full of developments. Between Hiro and Peter, I expect to be thoroughly confused at some point this season. Aw who am I kidding. At some point is... today. I've no idea how they'll be able to clean up this mess of a time line. All of S1 is about keeping Sylar from getting Claire's power (phew), and he ends up with it in the first episode of S3. I actually had a feeling of hopelessness while watching.

Go Heroes!

Joe_H

Screenwriter

This is the only one I even have a guess to, but wasn't Jessica at first a real person who had died? Maybe Niki had another sister she didn't know about or something.

Though.. what was the name of the teenager personality Niki had for a little bit last season? That wasn't Tracy, right?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Pretty cool opening. I guess they really want to 'erase' S2 since they got rid of almost all of the S2 characters and those that aren't gone are now in stories with S1 characters. I'm just happy that they're refocusing on the S1 characters.

I wish I had taken the time to watch the S2 BRs because that recap show was a waste. The show hasn't been on in nearly 10 months and the little bits of actual recap they did have just had lame attempts at comedy interspersed with pretty people standing on a red carpet. At least Lost's recap shows, give you information that you want to know so you can enjoy the episode since there's such huge gaps between seasons.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There were a few cutesy film homages going on in the 2nd episode:

The Fly
Spider-Mo
Ice-woman
Hannibal
Linderghost
Time-Fu
Firestarter
Magneto

I did a little cheer for the Veronica Mars/Weevil reunion.

Had to laugh at Mo's sexual confidence level going to 11.

Angela has got some crazy genes to be giving birth to so many "heroes".

Hiro and the whole safe/Kaito chastisement was gold.

Hiro and his distrust of future Ando got a little old, but at least Ando was right to call Hiro on it.

Buh-bye, Bob.

Elle, get a job.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I hated hearing that "we only use ten percent of our brains" garbage again, but I can't dislike the show for that alone. I just heard it on an ep of Stargate and I love that show. These two hours were okay, but I still am not thrilled that it always has to be "preventing the bad future." I almost stopped watching S2 the moment that was introduced, and the clock is ticking on this show.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Well, it was neat seeing William Katt again. What's not to like? The Greatest American Hero meets Heroes! Unfortunately, it looks like he won't be back anytime soon...

Overall, I enjoyed the second hour more than the first. Season two was such a dud for me that it is going to take some time for me to warm back up to Heroes and its mythology. My knee-jerk reaction is that season three appears to be a HUGE step in the right direction, but at the same time, I can't help but feel that the program has lost a bit of it's mojo. As I said though, I thought hour two better than hour one, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks