What's new

Heroes - Season Four ("Redemption") (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

They haven't realized it's not the character. She can't act her way out of a paperbag. It's like watching someone read a book aloud.
It's subjective but I think she's an adequate enough actor for the role she plays. For me, the biggest thing is that I've never cared at all about her characters. She had nothing to really do with the main plot of the first season and the only thing that made her even remotely bearable was D.L. and Micah. Then in S2, D.L. was killed and they had nothing to do with her so they killed Nikki off. And then Tracy was brought into Nathan's story (who, thanks to his loyalties that seem to shift to fit the story, I'm also bored/annoyed by him) and that did nothing for me. I was hoping when she got shattered near the end of last season that was the end for her but no such luck.

All that being said, HRG is one of my favorite characters so maybe putting Tracy with him will make her character more appealing to me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by mattCR
They haven't realized it's not the character. She can't act her way out of a paperbag. It's like watching someone read a book aloud.
I've been saying that since the beginning. It's a combination. She's terrible and the characters are terrible. It's why I can't get behind the "season one was mindblowing television" argument. It turned good at Company Men, but the mystery of her ability was just death. And, the endless exposition. We'd see something on screen, cut to another scene, and cut back to her explaining what we just saw on the screen.

Her main thing is, "I'm supposed to be pissed or I'm supposed to be badass. Time for a smirk!"

She wasn't all that bad in Resident Evil 3, though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watched our Tivo'd first episode last night and I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the paced, somewhat brooding start. While I had utter disdain for resurrecting Sylar yet again last season, what they're doing and how they're doing it creates interesting tension.

It also felt like an opener that is for the fans. It seemed inaccessible to new viewers.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the opener was surprisingly good. Peter is stlil my favorite character and his scenes were pretty good. I agree with the ali larter hate, i just can't stand her, but this incarnation of her is better than the previous seasons. I wish nathan would just die so everyone would have to deal with the fall out from what that means, buti doubt we ever see that. (not a knock against the actor, i like nathan, but lets have some permanant change).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm still digging the carnival characters.

Claire's friend is kind of a pain in the ass. Maybe I'm just projecting my perverse desires but it seems like she's into Claire.

Is Mohinder off the show for good? Nothing against the actor but I wouldn't miss him. Unfortunately, the writers didn't really seem to know what to do with him after awhile so he started doing things like working for the bad guys or shooting himself up with a drug to give himself powers.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

Claire's friend is kind of a pain in the ass. Maybe I'm just projecting my perverse desires but it seems like she's into Claire.
My friend and I were both thinking the same thing. When they were doing the whole scissor thing on her hand, my friend said something like "oh just kiss her already".

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Joe_H

My friend and I were both thinking the same thing. When they were doing the whole scissor thing on her hand, my friend said something like "oh just kiss her already".
Wow. I don't know if all the double entendre is intended, but the imagery is pretty thick there...

I like her as an actress (the girl who plays Gretchen) who I thought was much better in Californication.. but we'll see where this develops.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im late watchig this show, which suprises alot of people, considering how steeped in comic books I was in my youth.

I watched the season opener (out of boredom) and liked it, especially the eulogy and figured Id give the show a chance. I got about half way the S4 opener when I turned it of and decided to go back to the beginning.

In the middle of season1 and enjoying it and looking foward to see where it goes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by TravisR
Well

Since one of the comic conventions, they've been saying, "Ooh, Claire's going to kiss a girl!" As someone said earlier, too bad they killed off the wrong coed. Annie was cute. Gretchen is, to me, painfully unattractive.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ If that's where they go, I think it'll just come off as a desperate attempt at grabbing ratings. In all fairness, I haven't seen how it'll work in the episode but I can't imagine it coming off any different than that.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's been the consensus at places like Newsarama. And, that crowd isn't exactly averse to a scene like that. Then again, if they smell a stunt, they're merciless even if it comes off okay on the screen.

BTW, good episode last night. I think we can put to rest any doubts about whether Samuel is evil or not. Quinto better watch out. They've finally found an actor who can match him. But, Quinto was good last night as well. Interesting that he made Parkman find a body in a hidden crawlspace, since that's where we first saw a survivor of Sylar's handiwork before we'd even met Sylar.

The Claire storyline is not so interesting, however. Could be worse.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It wouldn't be "Heroes" if at least a couple storylines weren't firing on cylinders. Dramatically diminished from the first season but enjoyable enough on its own level.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
BTW, good episode last night. I think we can put to rest any doubts about whether Samuel is evil or not. Quinto better watch out. They've finally found an actor who can match him.
This is why they need to get Sylar off the show...Even if its just for another season. You need to allow the development of other bad guys. Without always having to come back to Sylar.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i would love if the cheerleader would not have been saved.

claire really drags this show down. she adds nothing to the show except some t & a for horny dudes.

if half of EVERY episode were not spent on her lame plot lines this show could move on to something interesting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really liked the style of this new episode. Of the few comics I've read, my favorites are the Astro City series which have a flavor of superheroes in "ordinary" life; and this was of that style.

The "musical sight" was a bit odd to me, in that it was synesthesia which is interesting, but not a superpower. But an interesting depiction.

I'm still not crazy about the carnies. I don't know...evil carnies...it feels like a bad horror-movie gag.

Despite my desire for Sylar to exit the show, Parkman's plotline brings back the dread from the original Sylar story. And because the solution is so easy yet impossible, it makes it even more stressful. But if the story actually was resolved properly, it would be an stunning shakeup to the Heroes world.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Actually the idea of superpowered baddies hiding at a carnival is kind of brilliant.

Where else can say, a strong man, fortune teller (psychic), fire shooter, etc, whatever, dwell with their own kind, and use and master their abilities and without bringing too much attention to themselves.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by JonZ

Actually the idea of superpowered baddies hiding at a carnival is kind of brilliant.

Where else can say, a strong man, fortune teller (psychic), fire shooter, etc, whatever, dwell with their own kind, and use and master their abilities and without bringing too much attention to themselves.
Carnivale.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I do like the Carnies, and it seems maybe only the leader is the real bad guy, the knife guy wants out it seems and the woman looks neutral. I agree, need to get Sylar off the show or something, just not good to have an all powerfull villian.

I just don't see why Parkman would not want to use his mind reading abilities as a cop, in those situations. I can see not wanting to control peoples minds but c'mon, you don't want to read their thoughts and find out where the drugs(or whatever is)? Find that lame and bugged me the entire time he was on screen.

Claire, seems like the same thing over and over.

I think the show is better then last couple years so far though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks