What's new

Heroes - Season Four ("Redemption") (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, but the cracks were already showing five minutes after the plot development developed. They don't know how to quit Sylar.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But the interesting thing is that even when Sylar inevitably reemerges, he'll still have a lifetime of being Nathan inside him too. Once he overcomes Parkman's block he'll still be, to a significant degree, Nathan Petrelli.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 4th season of Heroes gets started tonight with a 2-hour premiere at 8 p.m. EDT.

Robert Knepper (T-Bag on Prison Break) is part of this season's cast.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have decided to skip the show after too many moments of frustration in the last two seasons. I will be monitoring the situation with this fine thread, however, and if things seem better I will likely watch after the season has ended.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's a shorter season, I think Cristina Rose mentioned that the budget was curtailed and the episode count was only 19 for this season. They are powering through the season, already got 8-9 episodes in the can.

Since Mondays are very crowded for me this season, I'm giving it 3-4 episodes to keep my interest. Otherwise, I'm bailing as well.

mike caronia

Second Unit
I enjoyed the season opener better than anything from the past 2 seasons.
Teddy Teabag is a welcome addition. Will he be more evil than Sylar?
I hope so.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to see more of the carnival characters but, obviously, that'll happen with time.

I'm always happy to see Robert Knepper in something so it's good to see that he has what I assume is a fairly large role as the head of the carnival.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I liked much what I saw in the season 2-hour premiere.

I'm glad Larter is back. As one of the few heroes who is solidly in the shades-of-grey category, she's one of the few heroes I find interesting (insofar as she is not as predictable as everyone else). Plus, beautiful. I hope the writers don't attempt a romance between her and HRG though, because he is not in her league -- he's too dorky. And older than her.

I did not like that they cast Robert Knepper to be a bad guy. He's always a bad guy. A real lack of imagination, casting him. (And I remember there's a traditional song called "Lydia the Tattooed Lady", so I suppose there was also a lack of imagination in naming Lydia, the tattooed lady, as Lydia).

Claire looks like she's doing the Veronica-Mars-in-college bit, but that's alright -- Buffy went to college too. It's always fertile ground for wanna-be crimestoppers. I hope this plot line will be wholly original, since frankly the whole family-and-company storyline that plagues most every season is boring as heck to me.

The "when will Sylar turn back into Sylar" plotline has always risked being boring, because everyone is just waiting for that moment to happen. But they've made it interesting with Parkman developing a psychosis over the situation.

Ok, this doesn't sound as if I liked the premiere too much, but in fact I did. I guess I am just really afraid that the writers might not be capable of coming up with much that is new and fresh.

I am wary. But I'll watch and see.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I also like Ali Larter. It's about a 6 "like" though, with 5 being completely indifferent, and 1-4 being dislike. I'm glad she's back. I don't find her characters all that compelling, though. Given that she's had more than one, it does throw her acting and/or accessibility into question.

HRG too old? Because cute younger women never go for older powerful guys? It does seem they're going in the direction of something between them and I can't say it'll bother me. I doubt it'll be a full on Bridges of Madison County as this is Heroes.

It doesn't bother me at all seeing T-Bag as another bad guy if that's how it turns out. Typecasting? Maybe, but it's not like he just shows up to every job acting like himself. He's acting. And I think he's pretty darned good at it. I didn't want to see Michael Jordan play baseball. I wanted to see him do what he excelled at -- basketball. The same goes for me watching T-Bag. If he's the bad guy, he'll make one I'll enjoy watching. I had no idea he was going to be in this season of Heroes, so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

The Claire storyline didn't do much for me. The Hiro storyline didn't do much for me. The Peter storyline didn't do much for me.
It's amazing to me how much more enjoyable it is watching Sylar as Sylar versus Nathan as Sylar. That reminds me... I just have to see Star Trek. Based on his Heroes work, he really seems like an actor that resonates with me. I was indifferent about the Sylar personality surfacing, except when they showed Sylar.

Matt Parkman swearing off using his abilities so he can have a normal life was slightly irritating to me. Hey, I have an idea. A young child is kidnapped and stored somewhere. You (as a cop) find the guy who kidnapped her, but he refuses to tell you where she is. She'll likely soon die. But don't dare read his mind. It's not your fault if she dies. His wife can't possibly be that asinine. It's not like he has a bad gambling habit or something. His ability can save lives and I'd think she'd understand how special that makes him -- and that she'd appreciate it, not just dread it.

I'm sure many of my complaints would be addressed by saying this was the first episode, and it just laid the foundation for the season, but I would suggest that every single episode should be satisfying and entertaining, and just happen to lay groundwork.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Did they?
Well, Robert Knepper's character did try to choke someone into submission, and, he's wearing evil purple sunglasses at night. And he said something about how he put Hiro on a righteous path but that it would lead him to them, or lead him astray to them, or something with that kind of implication... But I take your point. The carny folk might be good guys who just have a severe pecking order.

It's really annoying not having a commentary track to listen to now, to get more of a sense of the episode.

"I also like Ali Larter. It's about a 6 "like" though..."

I thought for a moment you meant Ali Larter was like Tricia Helfer ("6" on Battlestar Galactica)! In which case I'd agree, they were both pretty to look at. Though Helfer is a more powerful actress (or at least she's had opportunities for greater range than the simplistic "evil or good" levels that Heroes is limited to).

"HRG too old? Because cute younger women never go for older powerful guys?"

Naw, it's the combination of his dorkiness and his age together. If he grew out of his middle-management appearance, I'm sure she'd give him a try.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The first half was terrible. The second half picked up a little. It's kind of bad when the series creator is the weak link, but that may be the case. Anyway, it picked up, but it wasn't great. I liked the second half Hiro stuff, but Claire was a snoozer. They've been hyping this "ooh, she's going to kiss a girl" stuff. Is she going to kiss Gretchen? I'm sorry, but that actress has zero appeal to me. I like carnival settings, so maybe that'll help this chapter out. They should bring in the Knaufs.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if you are saying the actress who plays Gretchen has zero appeal to you, or the actress who plays Claire. Anyway, the actress who plays Gretchen was appealing enough on Californication.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I'm not sure if you are saying the actress who plays Gretchen has zero appeal to you, or the actress who plays Claire. Anyway, the actress who plays Gretchen was appealing enough on Californication.
Probably because as Mia, she showed off her goodies and cursed like a sailor on Californication. But I digress...

I take it Knepper's character's power the ability to locate others with powers via compass?

So this season looks like Heroes meets Carnivale.

The Nathan-Sylar-Angela stuff is just offputting and icky.

Hiro and Ando's scenes literally stop the episode flow for me. Yes, I note the irony.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I kept waiting for her to bring up sex & punching (if you haven't seen Californication, that will make no sense)

I watched this morning on Hulu.. let's just say, I'm glad I watched House live and DVR'd Big Bang/HIMYM instead.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
After seeing the premiere last night, I am cautiously optimistic.

I like that everyone is trying to live a normal life again. This type of show works best when the extraordinary is grounded in something close to reality. Previously, Heroes has overdone the extraordinary, which I found alienating.

I like the idea of a "crime circus", which goes back as far as Jack Kirby and Walter Gibson's The Shadow.

But I still don't like that the writers treat Hiro like an idiot. After all his protests about the dangers of changing the past, one thrown slushy later, he's off to correct his life's mistakes before he dies. He's more of a plot device than a character.

I like that they came up with a different way to use Sylar this time. His semi-possession of Parkman looks promising, as does Nathan's unraveling.

I hope everyone working on the show realizes that if they screw up this season, it's over.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I was talking about Gretchen, and to be less kind, I meant, "That is one unattractive girl." Hayden is not ugly at all, but she's not really my favorite, either. I don't know why.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Judging by the ratings, I wonder if Heroes gets pulled after volume 5 is done, even though they have 19 episodes on tap for this season.

Gretchen is a little too CSI-driven, but it was sort of funny to have a Tim Kring show refer to another Tim Kring show (Crossing Jordan).

For the longest time, I thought they had cast Joshua Gomez (Morgan on "Chuck") in the Ray Park role, but then I realized it was Ray Park given all the knife-wielding moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks