What's new

Heroes season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the ratings links. I was interested in looking up another show's ratings, and the news wasn't too great. :frowning:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

To drive us mad with speculation. Seems to be working. :) I had missed the "S" pattern earlier, but definitely noticed it in the void in the letters on the genetic code screen and the pool hose at the crime scene. (But you're description makes it sound like a dollar sign. :) The two lines don't go through the middle of the "S", rather there is one short line that crosses in something more like this manner:

(Now we'll see if I can "draw" on this board. ;))

.................................................. ..........0.......
..............................................xxxx xxxxxx0xxxxx
..............................................x... ..........0.......
..............................................x... ...................
..............................................xxxx xxxxxxx........
.................................................. ..........x........
..............................................0... ..........x........
.......................................xxxxx0xxxxx xxxxx........
..............................................0... ...................

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I'm not sure it is that simple. It seems more like the Devil's Tower shape in Close Encounters or the fractal pattern from Threshold, something big and cosmic, and related to whatever ties all the characters together, not just the personal signature of one of them. But that's just my guess. :)

Regards,

Joe

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The symbol is a representation of RNA (there are a lot more images of it than the ones already mentioned). Supposedly it is the gene that the HEROES and VILLIANS share.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Doesn't she look like Tweener's girl on Prison Break? As for her character on Heroes, I thought that she actually might be a mole; you know, have her rescue the guy from the exterminator to gain his confidence.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have to ask, what is with the extreme gore level in this show? :confused: It just seems so gratuitous and worse out of place for a show of this kind.

Hiro's vision was pretty scary, at first I thought it was happening right then. :frowning: The bit with the girl getting her head turned around was freaky looking, it was cool when she spun it back around and you saw that lump in her neck pop back into place. :emoji_thumbsup:

It's nice to see Nora Zehetner again, i've liked her ever since she did a low budget horror film called R.S.V.P.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A lot of 8 p.m. shows are getting gorier these days:

House
Bones
Smallville (for its violence level at times, Lana's hand got skewered last week)
NCIS (gory autopsies)
Prison Break

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, but in the case of House the gore is oriented more towards the clinical and thus fits the show, and in the case of Smallville they really didn't show much except Lana screaming in pain and a small trickle of blood.

Neither of those can touch having two victims with their skulls sliced off and their brain removed, not on a show like this anyway. It doesn't really bother me, it's just an observation, I just feel that for this show it's not necessary to be so gross.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh wait, Heroes is a 9 p.m. show, it gets even gorier elsewhere:

CSI
Criminal Minds
Close to Home (at times)
Cold Case
Celebrity Duets
Law & Order shows
The Unit
Supernatural

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
This second episode gave me the faith that this show could be good in a way that the pilot did not. In fact, this might have made a better pilot, especially since they recap the interesting bits from the first episode. All the other important character background stuff could have been given in different ways and we would have avoided some of the sloppy exposition of the first episode. This was compelling, cool, scary, gross and kept me coming back to it after the commercials. I couldn't watch the pilot a second time when my wife wanted to catch it. I tried and even she was bored by it half way through and stopped. I think this second episode will be the grabber.

Random thoughts: Stripper and Siler seem to share similar m.o. when it comes to handling house guests, though she veers away from brain pan scooping. Maybe they will team up?

I liked that they had subtitles to introduce the characters. I wonder if that was added newly this week? It would have been nice last week. Or did they have it last week and my brainpan had been scooped?

Now that Adrian Pasdar's character can fly, will we get close to the coolness of "Ex Machina's" politics meet superhero storyline??

I suspect the girl-next-door that knew the professor is a plant and a bad guy put there to play off the sloppy attempt to plant/retrieve a bug in the house.

Are all the people being introduced set to be good guys? Obviously the stripper would seem to hint that maybe not but in a lot of comics the hero and villain sometimes share a similar origin. Brothers with similar powers, one goes bad, one goes good. That sort of thing.

I was sad to see the dad of the cheerleader to really head down evil-guy path. I liked the idea proposed by someone last week that he might be a red herring and instead could be a good guy with a different agenda but it really does seem that they are setting him up to be a villain. I liked his rapport with his adopted daughter. Oh well.

Hiro's story continues to be very compelling (the only story from last week that truly entertained me).

Too slow??? Wow. I can't figure that out. That is a serious need for speed. In one week we get introduced to the characters, in week two more powers are introduced and used and by next week we already have them teaming up with each other. I think the show people are looking for are on the Kids WB (or Kids CW) with "Legion of Superheroes" and maybe "Teen Titans" on the Cartoon Network. Those might move a little faster in the superhero department. :D

I like the 'failed detective' cop storyline but also agree that the lady detective went a bit fast from zero to arrest. It would have been more interesting if he got promoted from the event but finds out he really isn't fit to be a detective and his powers, while it gives him an edge if the missing person is nearby, helps him not at all when it comes to checking out a crime scene and compiling clues. Being a suspect seems kind of dippy. Oh well.

Still, a rousing second week that will hopefully be a sign of future fun. I wonder if they will ever get costumes??

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Really? I thought I read somewhere that they shot a two-hour pilot but that they recut it into two episodes when they greenlit the series without airing the pilot as a TV movie.

Regards,

Joe

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
There was something about this second episode that by the end of it, I commented "Now that was a good show." The first one tried to fit too much into 42-ish minutes and my comment earlier was that they should've done just a few heroes a week (similar in the way that Surface did both story lines, but the kid and Nim got most of the story one week and the next it would be the Doc and the guy. then they meet at a crucial point) well this week was better. I liked how when we got to each character we moved back at least a minute into their lives so we saw what they did, sort of an opening recap but built into the show, very well done.

I love Greg Grunberg, he's one of my favorite actors, so I'm happy he's on the show and I'm happy with the power that he got and I hope they continue to make his character cool. I have a feeling he could be the "heart" of the team, similar to Ray from Ghostbusters.

Niki's character got a little more interesting, I like Ali Larter, she's hot, but her character is still so boring, it was conveinent that the tape was snowy but we heard the audio, I doubt we would've heard that. Her reactions to watching herself get beaten were almost laughable and annoying. I hope they spend less time on her character next week, or spend more of the episode on her to flesh out the character.

Hiro is easily my favorite character tied with Parkman, I didn't realize he was Franklin on Scrubs, but his characters excitment over everything is cool and I wonder how he will take what just happened to him.

The wonder twins (flying powers activate!) are interesting and not nearly enough time was spent on them.

Mohinder (seriously his name is awesome) I'm still thinking doesn't have a power but will be a Prof. X or something to them all, someone to guide the characters through their development and help newer characters with super-powers.

This episode made me want to tune in next week, it moved far quicker than last weeks episode for me. Two new shows for me on Monday, this and Studio 60, yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks