What's new

Heroes season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Because it is a show, and "that howler" is beyond most people's intuitive grasp of the phenomenon. A sudden pressure increase isn't. Of course, technobabble can sell just about anything.

--
H

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I'm thinking that the writers are more worried about exploring the, you know, "heroes" of the show, rather than the science. Otherwise it would be called "Superpowers."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Seriously, I must be 100% honest here, you guys are sucking all the fun out of reading this thread by talking about this stuff which doesn't even apply to this show anyway. The kid looks at a picture, closes his eyes and boom, he's there.

This show isn't interested in the science behind teleportation, if your going to argue that point, why not start a debate on how a girl can stick her hand into a garbage disposal and have her hand heal in a matter of seconds?

My point is if you have to argue the plausabilities and logic behind one character, please don't stop there...be consistantly boring. ;)

And I say that as a friend, honestly. ;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Bah. I am rather tired of saying it, but here goes once again, and for the last time: I never once argued science for the sake of science in this thread. The very premise of my argument is science in service of drama. I really, really don't see what's so hard to understand.

--
H

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes we want to turn off some logic, suck in the entertainment factor, and enjoy a cool one during the show. I do in some shows and get the most out of it. Discovery channel has a bunch of shows that utilizies science in the story they are airing. Thinking needed there, but for Heroes, no think now just enjoy ugh.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

And why the blood disappears. The pool stayed on the floor, but her fingers should have been healed but still bloody. Maybe the blood sucks back into her body? :)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
So, alter-ego is the new name for multiple personalities. Seriously, that's all it seemed like she had and, that isn't much of a superpower but more of a mental disease. Plenty of people around the world have multiple personalities and some have killed people to wake up and not remember what happened. I just think the stripper was the most pointless character and, it was a ashame that she had the most screen time and fleshed out story. Just don't like her character yet. The rest of the show was pretty good though.

Although, I would've prefered another season of Invasion.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Look closer. When the alter-ego killed the two goons it was covered in blood... there wasn't a drop of blood on Stripper Woman.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I watched this hoping for something a little bit more engaging but it was at least enough to get me back again (if only to follow Hiro, the most interesting and fun of the bunch).

It started off on a bad foot for me in the writing and that is rarely a good thing. Two scenes that just seemed out of place and not emotionally honest had me cringing. One was the hospice nurse and his patient's daughter flirting over his soon-to-be-dead body. It is one thing for a hospice nurse to be a bit removed from the situation (because this is his daily job) and thinking that the lady is hot (because she is) but a whole other wackiness for said lady to be into it. The scene could have shared the same information (his attraction to her, info that she has boyfriend, etc.) without the hack dialogue. She could have said the same "you are like a son to him" and added a bit about "being a brother to her" and his non-verbal response couuld have told us what we needed to know without the creepy dead-guy-soon factor.

The other emotionally dishonest scene was the Indian professor who hears about his father's death. It was far too much a cheap exposition tool vs. anything relevant emotionally and to me, for these sci-fi shows to really resonate, I need some emotional connection to keep me going through the schlock sci-fi portions of the show. LOST, a clear influence on this style of show (you know, large diverse cast, mysterious powers, odd conspiracy, bajillion coincidental contacts between main characters, etc.), did a better job with the emotional aspects of the characters. Too much so for some fans who just want the mysteries solved so they can move on. Not me, though. I want the emotional connections to these characters and that was just lacking in this episode. I know, it is a pilot and it has to have room to grow but still...a little bit of honest emotion and responses would have gone a long way to making this more intriguing to me.

That said, I did enjoy some aspects of it. The "anti-Buffy" with a superhero cheerleader who just wants to not be super was interesting. Hiro, of course, was a hoot (though as I am sure someone pointed out it was issues 141-142 and not 143 that had Kitty time travelling...loser). I liked the "I think I can fly" bit but mostly because of the ending. Kind of fun (though they kind of ruin the suspense of what happens by showing previews that tell us how it must come out).

It would have been nice if they did like Joss Whedon did in the pilot of Buffy by introducing a character we think is going to be a main character only to kill him off in the first show. That would have made Pasdar's character have a nice new spin...gain a superpower but lose a brother. How comic book is that? I only put this in spoilers in case people didn't see the previews that clearly show the younger brother lived

Well, hopefully it will grow up a bit and either embrace its potential geekiness (as it does with Hiro) or find a new groove that will make it more than an ensemble version of "SMALLVILLE meets the X-FILES visits LOST."

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
This was very interesting. I think I'll stick around for more.

So the 2 brothers...turns out that the one that can fly is the older brother? So does the younger one have any powers? Because it looks like he's part of the cast so that means he'll be around for more.

So I guess the 2nd part of the pilot is next week?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

What's anti-Buffy about that? Buffy herself spent half the time whining that she wanted to go out and party like a normal girl instead of saving the world.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

Good point. The "Buffy-esque" character will replace "Anti-Buffy." I thought she was more anti-Buffy not because of the whining (what teen doesn't whine??) but because she was actively trying to kill herself but couldn't. Buffy never tried to off herself (well, maybe in Season 6 when she was yanked back from the dead but I can't remember) whereas this girl clearly isn't happy until she is dead.
Buffy wanted to enjoy the dances, the cheerleading, etc. but this girl seems overwhelmed by it all. One has to wonder...did she attempt suicide before finding out about her powers and failed and then continued to try and off herself? Apparently she tried a number of times before getting her, uh, "Xander-esque" character to film her attempts. She wouldn't say why she was filming it, especially if she wasn't going to show or tell anyone so it makes me things he wants to finally succeed in killing herself and would leave the tape as her suicide note.

I wonder if she is "Patient Zero" that was mentioned in the beginning of the show? She has a dad who is apparently the antagonist/bad guy/evil force/whatever and she is adopted so it points in that direction. To me, anyway.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
What was that bad Ben Stiller movie about a group of "not so super" heroes?
Doesn't this sound familiar?
Maybe one of the powers will be someone who gets super angry at everyone.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, I didn't mind that so much. What I was trying to figure out, tho, is what kind of class he was teaching. That seemed way too much like cheap exposition.

Hiro, of course, was a hoot (though as I am sure someone pointed out it was issues 141-142 and not 143 that had Kitty time travelling...loser).[/quote]

What's scary is that I know exactly the plotline he was talking about.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks