What's new

Here's New Info on Classic Twilight Zone re-release (1 Viewer)

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
And here's my take on this -

After college, I acquired a few episodes as discarded-by-TV-stations 16mm prints (the only "home theater" available to me in 1982). At anywhere from $40 to $80 per show, well, you can do the math. (And imagine how long I'd have to live to catch, say, "The Encounter.")

Then to Columbia House's Beta tapes (which format they discontinued 20 tapes in), at about - well, I don't want to remember how much. (Supplemented by random off-air tapes.)

When Image completed their set I finally had all 156 in one format, and a reasonably durable one at that. (I had to simply junk two 16mm prints; vinegar syndrome hit hard - Viacom slopped those babies out and probably didn't thoroughly wash them at the end of processing. After all, they were ephemeral items in their view, to be run until worn out.)

Believe me, I was delighted to be able to enjoy any & all of the 156 at my will and whim; I was able to ignore the recent mere repackaging. I spent my money and have received suitable enjoyment.

If the new package includes vintage material such as bumpers, "next week," etc., that will weigh in my decision to buy or not... and I have several friends who may well enjoy the older set if I decide to part with it. If the new package contains little of interest... well, I saw it when caretaking Mr. Serling's archives, so it won't break my heart if absent again.

The episodes - uncut - are what it's about for me. So I'll calmly await news and reviews on the new package.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it won't be. It will still play, and still be exactly as good as it was when you decided it was worth your money. That another edition comes out later doesn't mean anything.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm excited about the upcoming releases. I only bought a few of the early singles, as it was cost-prohibitive to buy them all, and I did not feel the need to have every episode if I had to get them just 3 or 4 at a time. The box set repackaging did seem not a sufficiently higher step up to me. So now, with it being done WELL, I'm ready to buy.

Was this all an insidious plot by Image to have everyone buy the series more than once? I don't know. But I'm not going to stew over it and have it keep me from buying the set I've been waiting for all along. I'd feel less charitable if I had bought the recent sets, though. It is hard to believe that Image was never planning (and working on) the remasters when they sold the last sets.

No one is forcing anyone to do multiple buys, but it would have been more fair to not do the last box sets, and just let TZ be out of print until the new ones were ready to go.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Why can't I put a DVD on the counter and be reasonably sure that it won't be obsolete in six months?[/qoute]

It's not obsolete, unless you make it obsolete. If you've been satisfied with the set until the season sets were announced, keep it. If not, flog it on eBay now before word spreads and maybe you'll get most of your money back.

On the other side of the coin, though, the people who bought all the early sets would've probably been mad if Image hadn't released them all, especially if they have no intention of re-purchasing the show.

Imagine if Paramount had decided to cancel the Star Trek DVDs 3/4 of the way through, knowing that they'd do season sets in a few years. Those who'd been buying them as they came out would've been incensed. Sure, today they'd probably be glad they didn't as that'd be less money they might be spending twice, but at that time it wouldn't have been a popular decision.

I myself have several things on official VHS (The Martian Chronicles, V: The Series, Space: 1999, for example) that have now been released on DVD. Do I have a chance in Hell of getting my money back? No. Probably couldn't even get more than a few bucks for the lot. Does that bother me? Yeah, somewhat, but I have to look at it like this: I got to see these shows at home on my TV years before those who waited for DVD, so that counts for something and lessens the blow.

And those who bought the earlier TZ release had the same privilege.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks