What's new

Here you go... Actual Sales Numbers! Talk among yourselves. (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Opps... is there a way to delete duplicate posts? Maybe the moderator can do that for me?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Hit this link to see Sony's sales for the same time period. Looks their decision to keep the PS2 price $299 may have been a smart one after all...
Gary

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Michael-

Since when did I say the console sucked? I didn't. "Sega screwed up" could mean they screwed up with advertising, with pricing, with their budget, whatever. They screwed up with their budget and the japanese launch of the DC, which is why the console died.

I could care less about what IGN says about the DC games. I don't like sports or racing games, so right there the DC sucked for me. They didn't take MY opinion into consideration when rating games, so their opinions are of a lesser value to me than my own.

And Super Monkey Ball is not the best GameCube launch game. Maybe to you it is, but it all comes down to what people think. Making an overgeneralized statement like that is something people think I would do.

Mike_D-

the MGS2 commercials show in-game cutscenes of the game, so while they might not be actual gameplay, it shows people what it looks like very accurately. Its a better ad campaign than showing prerendered scenes of mascots like Sega did at the DC launch, nonetheless.

To everyone-

I never said the DC, or its library, sucked. That is a stupid and overgeneralized statement, as is saying that it was the best ever or was even good. I understand that everyone who said it was great was stating their opinion, and it is because of that that I don't scream at you for saying "the DC library was great." I think it was good, but didn't appeal to me. Sega tried to please everyone so much that their old series, like Sonic, went to hell. Sonic Adventure was pretty good, but I could care less about playing as anyone but Sonic. SoA2 had camera problems and was not much better. Were they justified purchases? Overall, yes, and that is all what really matters.

And BTW, if Sony can sell PS2s at $300, why should they drop the price? Thats the idea they have.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
To tell the truth, I don't see whats so great about the DC. Yeah, it had some great games, but you can get most of those games somewhere else, and if you can't, then the games either sucked or were a rare case.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I said those things in relation to me, like "The DC library sucked FOR ME." I never said that the DC was a bad console and it's library sucked, and thus, nobody should buy it.

And the second quote was talking about how the only exclusive titles for the DC either sucked or were very few. I never said the whole library of games, even spinoffs, ports, sequels, or games that were ported to another console, sucked. I said that overall, it sucked for me.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
the only exclusive titles for the DC either sucked or were very few
Name them.

On a related note, why do we bother folks? Is our time and energy really worth constant verbal melees with Morgan? I am getting sick of seeing you on every board, constantly responding to your own quotes with statements like the one above. If you contradict your own text, how do you ever expect people to respect your opinions?

Jason

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jason-

I said that either the exclusive games (which, to me, means that there are no spinoffs or ports, or possibly even sequels, on any other platform, including PCs) for DC sucked or were a special case. Sports series (like 2k and such) don't count. I'm not going to list the games because I don't care to. Call me lazy, call me a liar, whatever.

I don't post on every board, or even thread for that matter. I post in a lot of them, but not all.

I post my opinions. Just cause I don't put "IMO" after things that are obviously opinions (like "the DC library sucked") doesn't mean they aren't my opinions.

And even though I might get annoying and people don't like me, that doesn't mean that they should be outright rude. I don't ruin threads, people with opinions opposite mine do. I say "I don't like the DC's library of games" and then people yell at me. I'm just expressing my opinion, and I even back it up, so why should I be yelled at?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I say "I don't like the DC's library of games" and then people yell at me. I'm just expressing my opinion, and I even back it up, so why should I be yelled at?

Because you say it in every blooming thread, even in threads that don't demand your attention. Like this one.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Brian-

This thread changed because someone mentioned the DC, and then I mentioned about how it died out more in Japan than America. Its not like I came in here saying "the DC sucks, buy a PS2/GCN!" or anything.

And I don't say it in every thread, only ones that apply to a similar topic or degenerate into it (which is not always my fault).

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
LORD KILL ME NOW
smiley_gun_shot.gif

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Morgan,

People back up their statements with specific examples on this forum. That is what makes this place different than IGNForum, but you don't seem to understand.

Look around you: people make lists - cite CREDIBLE evidence, talk about FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. You do none of this. I look at your posts and see offhanded, uninformed ideas that, when you are refuted with credible evidence, fail to admit your error.

Do you see a trend? You have this "why me?" attitude, yet you are surrounded by people citing inflammatory, contradictory remarks that clearly display you backtracking out of silly posts. How could you ever expect us to respect someone that does this?

And, please don't use some example from one of your earlier posts to "refute me". Everyone but you seems to have a clear viewpoint on this matter.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes, I will use the wrong word or will not state my opinion completely, and then when I try to, people say I'm trying to change what I said. For instance:

I once said that the general idea about Amped for X-Box was that you might as well get SSX Tricky. What I mean by that is that based on all the reviews I read, all the people I talked to, and pretty much every source I could find (credible or not) said that SSX Tricky was a better game and you should get that instead. AFAIK, a lot of people, if not everyone, agrees with me. The fact that my statement was not pro-XB made people say I was being inflammatory, and while it might have come out like that, it wasn't meant to be that way.

I'm sorry if I sometimes sound inflammatory or don't develop my opinions fully and completely each time, and even when people ask me to back up what I say with evidence, I either do back it up or say that I found I was wrong. I never say something false and stick by it if I know its false.

And my opinions don't need to be backed up, they are my opinions. I don't expect you to back up yours if you don't want to. Then again, I understand why people would rather I back mine up, so I try to.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa, this thread is like deja vu. I could swear that virtually the exact same arguments with Morgan played out in the "Still the Best!?" thread. I will agree with Morgan on this point. The Dreamcast had far more sales troubles in Japan than in the United States where it was considered a moderate success. It flat out bombed in Japan. By Sega's admission, it is why they pulled the plug.

Kip

Rodrick

Second Unit
Come on now Everyone.

Had to leave something here.

Systems die out over technology. Anything is good.

As to why you buy them for Entertainment.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
You're supposed to put all your words in bold when you type a post as important as that. Caps alone won't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks