What's new

Here he come, here comes SPEED RACER...he's a demon on wheels. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hirsch's face is a little too dough-y looking when he's got the helmet on, makes for indistinct facial features.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I love how the W's make a movie...the trailer looks a bit insane, but it's my kind of insane. I don't care much for the property, but I do care a lot about the talent involved.

I'm excited for this!

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I'm with Chuck. I'm not at all familiar with Speed Racer, so I'm approaching it solely from a movie lover's perspective. That trailer left me stunned. Visually it's like nothing I've ever seen before. This movie's definitely on my radar.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

That is exactly what my 16yo son said when we watched the trailer last night. I'm not real sure how I feel about it yet. I may have to let it sink in for a while before I make a decision to go or rent.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

That's very reminiscent of the animated series, I think. I assume it was for keeping production costs low but I don't remember a ton of background detail in the old cartoons. It is less Spy Kids to me and more Dick Tracy as it is going for lots of solid colors and bold lines vs. a more indistinct and "realistic" look. Clearly "Sin City" the movie has some impact on this, as well. The car physics are dead on to the show. The two cars trying to spike the Mach 5 causing Speed to hit the jump switch...awesome! The voice of the guy yelling at Speed just reminded me of voice-over actors of the 60's and 70's. Spritle and Chim-Chim hiding in the trunk. Racer X being mysterious and wearing the freaking costume. His car rocked, too.

Yah, this looks right on to me. My only reservations are Susan Sarandon (normally I love her but this role seems out of place for her). Same with Goodman. I love the guy but he just doesn't strike me as a Pops. At least not in those lines. I guess I need to see him get angry and throw a wrench on the ground to be sure.

This looks fun. 2008 is shaping up to the be a stellar year with a lot of new properties and some fun returning ones. Sweet!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's hard to make out in the trailer, but Goodman is twirling a bad guy over his head just like Pops did in the cartoon. :)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

Whoa, this just moved Goodman over to the good side of things! Will have to watch again! I wondered who was doing the spinning in that scene.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
It's an interesting trailer but what throws me off a little is that they've tried so hard to make the film look cartoony, but the actors seem too naturalistic in how they deliver their dialogue compared to the show. I mean, on the cartoon, the translation from Japanese dialogue to English resulted in the voice-actors having to blurt out everything as fast as they could and that became part of what gave the show its super-hyper-caffeinated vibe (or hell, what do I know? Maybe that's how it played in Japan, too), so now when I watch this trailer, everyone feels to me like they're speaking far too slowly :)

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
looks amazing, like the shot behind speed when hes shaking his right foot (damn ADD was around in the 60's LOL). the mach 5 looked incredible in motion, as well as the mach 6 (guess its his other race car).

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I used to watch Speed Racer as a kid, but have't seen it in 15 years, and couldn't remember anything about it. At all. As in, I had to look up Wikipedia to find out why there was a kid with a monkey in the boot of the car.

I really find this trailer intriguing. At the very least, it's a must-see-in-cinema film, just because of the visual element, but I can't work out whether this film even has a chance of being any good. It's so over-the-top that it just looks bad, and yet there is something about it that seems like it could be a lot better than it looks. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

One question: Who is the actor that says the lines "Are you ready to become a real race car driver? Then sign that contract!" and "You walk away from me, you walk away from this deal, no matter well you drive you won't win, you won't place, I guarantee you, you won't even finish the race." He looks familiar, but I don't know where from, and without knowing who the character is I can't look him up in the IMDb.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Is Speed Racer still airing anywhere? I last saw it on Cartoon Network in the late 90's. The "New Adventures" aired in syndication around the same time, but I saw very little of it.

It may just be us old fans who will appreciate what the movie gets right. ;)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
During the 60's, Speed Racer was the only cartoon I really enjoyed, though I had no idea it was Japanese. I have the DVD's. I was really looking forward to this movie, but the trailer completely let the air out of my sails. I have faith in the Wachowski Bros., but nothing I saw in that trailer made me look forward to seeing this movie. If the early reviews are stellar, I'll go see it in the theater. Otherwise, I'll watch it at home on DVD with lowered expectations.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read some of the recent posts here and it explains why the Mach 5 looks different in some of the trailer. A Mach 6?! I saw the cartoons too in the late 60's and early 70's after school. But nothing since. Is this a new car for the movie? That seems odd to me. Why change such a vital character of the series. Like changing the Enterprise in Star Trek. Maybe I missed something?

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

I've never heard of him before, but his delivery in that trailer is spot on to the way a similar antagonist character would talk in the cartoon. At first, I thought it could have been Peter Fernandez, who did most all of the voices in the series. Nice touch!

I too am not happy to hear about a Mach 6 already. I've NEVER been a car buff, but there has always been something about that Mach 5 that keeps my attention a little longer than a car should. Whenever I have walked into someone's office who has framed car photos on their wall, I always imagined that I would love to have a big Mach 5 print for MY office. Hopefully, the 6 is temporary.

C

troy evans

Screenwriter
I finally saw the trailer and will definatelly be seeing this film. I loved Speed Racer as a kid and this movie seems to have done what no film has done yet. Which is to capture what an anime would look like in live action. Man this is going to be awesome. Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer Goooooo......Damn Straight!

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I really liked the trailer. I mean, Speed Racer was hardly high art, and given what we've seen in the trailer I don't really see how anyone can claim it's trash already. I'll wait for some review impressions before passing judgment.

Anyone know what the up-tempo music track is that's used in the last half of the trailer? It's kind of catchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks