What's new

helping a friend put subs in his local sports bar (1 Viewer)

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
I'm helping a friend do a subwoofer setup in his sports bar. Everything is already up and running, minus the subs. the rca's are already run to the locations for the subwoofers, all I need to do is either build the sub from scratch or find him some pre-made powered subs.

i'm much more of a car audio guy, so i'm not too familiar with the home equipment. i've done a full HT setup of my own, by i'm by no means an expert, nor do I know what's good for any type of application as far as equipment goes.

There will be one sub on each end of the bar, which is about 25-30 feet long.

-12's are the only thing that will fit.
-airspace sealed or vented cant gross more than about 3cf.
-louder the better :)
-has to be able to withstand a beating, this is being used for music in a bar
-budget for subs/amps/enclosures (i can build enclosures) is ~$1000

give me some ideas, either something pre-made or something i'd have to build myself, either is perfectly fine.

thanks for any ideas :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Take a good look at the Labhorn project. This is a folded horn (i.e. no exposed drivers) and is designed exactly for the purpose that you are using it for. The folded horn topology will give you tons of output on a lower budget (assuming you have the construction skills).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Could you give us some more details about your space issues?

1) Why will only a 12" driver work?
2) What width, height, and spacing do you have to work with?
3) If this space is so small, why was it selected as a spot to run the sub to?
4) Could you mount anything to the ceiling?

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
The bar area is quite crowded already. There has been one sub running previously, but it toasted, and my friend decided it was time to upgrade.

On one side of the bar, there's a very shallow area where we can squeeze a box, and a 12" is the largest that will fit there. On the other end, the opening between a cooler and the end of the bar is 14 3/4", with about the same depth, so no go on putting a 15" there.

I'll have to take a look around and see if it'd be possible to mount to the ceiling, but dont count on it.

A horn setup would be awesome, but there's no WAY i can fit something like that in the available space.

I'll keep the Rythmik as an option, but still looking for more ideas. I'd really like to find something that people have used for music applications that have been able to withstand a heavy beating. lows arent essential, so i dont need anything thats capable of producing a quality sound at 20hz

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Use Soundsplinter RL-p 12's (DVC 4ohm wired for a final load of 2 ohms) with a Behringer EP-2500 amp. Set the SSF on the amp at 30hz. The amp will drive about 1,000w from 30hz and up. The 12's will soak that up and keep pounding. The Rythmik's only have a 2" voice coil so they will give up after a couple of hours of pounding (only 400w RMS). Make the sealed enclosures as large as you can but since you are limited, I think that 2cf net would be great. If you model this in WinISD or Unibox, it may not look good. But the RL-p 12 doesn't model well. I tried this combination in my home theater for about a week and it sounded great.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks