What's new

Helping a friend; First-time HT (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Quick run-down:

A friend of mine just moved into his retirement home. He wants a home theater, but his idea of home theater is a 10-year-old JVC surround receiver with a Bose system.

Since he just purchased a 40-inch Sony Wega, he's now considering new speakers and a receiver. Problem is he's stuck on the B&M where he purchased the television.

That store sells quality stuff: Def Tech, M&K, Klipsch, Vienna Acoustics and Martin Logan. But my buddy wants bookshelf for his mains and a small (no ugly black box or smokestack)sub.

Money: no object, but he doesn't want to spend more than 2K for mains, center, sub and receiver.

I'm thinking Yamaha or Denon 80 wpc receiver with M&K or Klipsch bookshelves. Does this sound reasonable? Any other suggestions before we go into the store?

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I don't know LOTS about M&K, but I know they are good. The Klipsch RB5 is one of the best speakers I have heard for the size. VERY dynamic. They also out-perform allmost every tower. I like the RF3 more, but the RB5 kicks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
DefTech has a very good reputation. From their little Pro Cinema system, to a set of 5 self-powered speakers - the quality is there.

Some DefTech dealers had a package with a Dennon receiver and DefTech speakers for a fairly good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks