Help with what I need to know moving info from one notebook HD to another

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 30, 2006.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    so after i did the cloning thing and then installed the new hd with the clone on it, the laptop would not open wxp.

a disc not found or maybe another error message came up.

now i knew all the stuff was ther because i could see it using the enclosure and just expolring the enclosure.

so it looks like i had the trouble rob was talking about.
    "You may find when you've restored the image to the new drive that XP won't boot because it doesn't recognise the hard drive's hardware identifier."

so i took another look at the sysprep stuff in my earlier post.

forget about it, i have no idea what that stuff is or how to figure it out.
    before even starting:

"Before you can use the Sysprep tool, your computer hardware and related devices must meet the following requirements:
    •The reference and destination computers must have compatible HALs. For example, Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC)–based MPS (multiprocessor systems) must use the same APIC HAL. A standard HAL Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC)–based system is not compatible with either the APIC HAL or the MPS HAL.
    •The reference and destination computers must have the same Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) support.
    •The Plug-and-Play devices on the reference and destination computers, such as modems, sound cards, network adapters, and video cards, do not have to be from the same manufacturer. However, the drivers for these devices must be available.
    •Third-party disk-imaging software or disk-duplicating hardware devices are required. These products create binary images of a computer's hard disk and either duplicate the image to another hard disk or store the image in a file on a separate disk.
    •The size of the hard disk on the destination computer must be at least the same size as the hard disk on the reference computer. If the destination computer has a larger hard disk, the difference is not included in the primary partition. However, you can use the ExtendOemPartition key in the Sysprep.inf file to extend the primary partition if it was formatted by using the NTFS file system."

WHAT?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

What that paragraphy basically says is don't expect this to work if you're transferring the image from one machine to another with quite different hardware.

If you've got different processor, motherboard etc then forget it, just reinstall. If however you're transferring from one HD to another it should be fine.

3. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    well everything is the same, just a new hd in the same old laptop.

a problem that i saw when using the acrons software during the cloning procedure was many messages of a sector not being found, so it was a sector error message, many of them.

no idea what that is.

so that sysprep information is above my ability to understand and the acronis doesnt read on the new hd after it's cloned so i guess i'll just ahve to
    load the new hd with whatever i can get off the old hd.

4. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier Stunt Coordinator

The key thing i think you are missing here when you are trying to restore using these tools is that "You have a FAILING HD" so doing an image is not a good idea. just use an enclosure as others have suggested to copy data over that is still good. (note some of your old data may be corrupted)

Hope you get the important data off that machine in a reasonable fashion.
    Dan

5. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    acronis is on sale this week at best buy for 29.99 in case anyone needs to get it.