What's new

Help with Speakers/Subs (1 Viewer)

Kevin Crays

Agent
Hi all. I'm in the process of putting together a new AV system for my parents (ok, mostly my Dad :laugh: ) and I'm a bit out of the loop on much of this stuff.

The room is rather large (roughly 24.5 x 23 x 8).

They're going to put in a 70" Sony XBR2 set.

They currently have some Polk 10 Monitors. It's not certain these will be replaced, as they like the way they sound.

There are some complications in setting up surrounds. I don't think there's any place to put them in the room, other than the ceiling and I haven't a clue what a good choice would be in that case. I'd probably go with Polk LS's if I could, but I'm not sure where they could go, and I"m pretty sure mounting them in the ceiling is a bad idea (right?)

What I"m looking for (in this thread) is suggestions on a Center/Surround and Sub. We shopped at a few places and one place suggested a B&W sub (as well as B&W speakers all around). Magnolia suggested Martin Logan for the Sub/Speakers or Vienna Accoustics/ML sub.

The price of the subs in each case were between $900-$1000. My gut says go with a sub direct from SVS or Rocket. I like the idea of the Rocket having the ability to EQ itself, but I get the impression that SVS may be a better sub.

The Receiver is still up in the air. One place suggested an Pioneer Elite 82txs. I have concerns about it (only 2 HDMI inputs), but that's another thread.

Below are pics with room dimensions (the back wall is 24, not 19.5). The 19.5' across the front is from the fire place hearth to the right wall.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/b/b6/htf_imgcache_5900.jpeg] [/url]
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/86/htf_imgcache_5901.jpeg] [/url]
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/4/45/htf_imgcache_5902.jpeg] [/url]
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/c/c8/htf_imgcache_5903.jpeg] [/url]

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi guy

I would suggest that you avoid ceiling mounted speakers if at all possible...as far as speakers and subwoofers... I can recommend AV123.com
The X-Series are very very good and attractive especially in White Shadow Maple...I have an X-Sub on order...they are sold out until 3//07... and for good reason...as far as subwoofers...you have to decide if furniture grade wood finishes are important...if not, the HSU VTF-3 MKIII is a great sub at a great price...please keep in touch with me.

PS The HSU VTF-3MKIII is selling like hotcakes.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Kevin,
I am no expert so I can only talk about what I know. As for the sub, I would take a look at the Hsu line. Since your room is a little over 4500^ ft the VTF 3 MK3 would work well for you at $699. They also have two other models at $499 and $559 that would work. Both of these subs will accept the xover from the receiver. I am partial to the JBL Studio L series all the way around 880 or 890s for mains, LC2 for center, 820s for surrounds and 830s for rears. The center and surrounds are only 5"thick and the prices are dropping. I love the sounds and it is a good value for the money. I also know a place that has good prices and can get all of the colors.

Hope this helps.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Kevin

I am in agreement with Andrew Taylor, especially with regard to the HSU subwoofers...I have a pair of HSU VTF-3HOs plus Turbos and I can't begin to use their full capacity. Please keep in touch with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks