What's new

Help with speakers for Denon AVR-2311 (1 Viewer)

rkg65

Auditioning
Real Name
Rajan
The reason why I wanted to know the approx. frequency response at -3dB is for setting the cross-over frequency if I am going to use these Technics as Front B on the Denon 2311.

rkg65

Auditioning
Real Name
Rajan
Hi! Thanks to all those who helped me with their valuable inputs. I have more or less decided on what speakers I want for my Denon AVR 2311. I am presently leaning towards the following (although the budget would go somewhat beyond the targeted limit of $3000):-1. Front L&R: Atlantic Technology AT-2 Bookshelves.2. Centre: Atlantic Technology 4400C.3. Surround L & R: Atlantic Technology 4400 SR (Bipole/ Dipole).4. Sub-Woofer: Atlantic Technology 642eSB.5. I'll continue using my old Technics SB-A37 floor-standing speakers as Front-B (mainly for music).My only concern is that the AT-2 is 6 ohms whereas the rest are 8 ohms. Would this be an issue? (Although Atlantic Technology does recommend the above combination with the AT-2). I could go in for the 4400 LR instead of the AT-2 but I feel the AT-2 is a more 'all-round' performer. Would there be any issues in the matching of the front and centre speakers if I chose the AT-2?Any comments/ suggestions? My mind is still open.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
rkg65 said:
Hi! Thanks to all those who helped me with their valuable inputs. I have more or less decided on what speakers I want for my Denon AVR 2311. I am presently leaning towards the following (although the budget would go somewhat beyond the targeted limit of $3000):-1. Front L&R: Atlantic Technology AT-2 Bookshelves.2. Centre: Atlantic Technology 4400C.3. Surround L & R: Atlantic Technology 4400 SR (Bipole/ Dipole).4. Sub-Woofer: Atlantic Technology 642eSB.5. I'll continue using my old Technics SB-A37 floor-standing speakers as Front-B (mainly for music).My only concern is that the AT-2 is 6 ohms whereas the rest are 8 ohms. Would this be an issue? (Although Atlantic Technology does recommend the above combination with the AT-2). I could go in for the 4400 LR instead of the AT-2 but I feel the AT-2 is a more 'all-round' performer. Would there be any issues in the matching of the front and centre speakers if I chose the AT-2?Any comments/ suggestions? My mind is still open.
A quick Google search shows that sub selling for a little over $1,000. That's a LOT for a 12" sub. A Powersound sub like http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs30 would crush that sub for the same price.

rkg65

Auditioning
Real Name
Rajan
Thanks Robert. Never heard of PSA until now. With the kind of reviews and price tags, their Subs do look very promising. Are there any other brands in your opinion that could 'crush' the rest of my proposed Atlantic line-up for the same price?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Powersound was started by Tom Vodhanel (the V in SVS). He's also a moderately active poster here. If you go back in the archives, you can actually find old posts in the old DIY section.

And since I mentioned DIY, that is your best value if you have basic woodworking skills and the required tools. There is also AIY (assemble it yourself) with kits. There are a few companies selling flat pack enclsoures that you just have to glue and screw together. Add an amp/driver and you are ready to go. There are great combinations like the Stereo Integrity 18" and a Behringer amp. With enclosure, that's about the same price as the Atlantic 12" and it will definitely squash it.

On the downside, I like big subs so that's what I recommend. I've tried a single 12" and a pair of 12's. My pair of 12's were clones of SVS subs and they could not satisfy my needs. That's why I currently go with dual 15's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks