What's new

Help with receiver set-up (1 Viewer)

joey88

Grip
Real Name
Joe Juidiciani
Also, should I be using a more name-brand? I am only running the wire 20 feet maximum.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
"Name brand" speaker wire is no better than any other bundle of insulated copper. Don't fall for the hype. 16-gauge is just fine for runs of the lengths you have in mind. Don't forget to add the distance the wire has to run around corners and furniture, and the distance it has to travel up to the receiver and speakers. I've always gone with heavier 14 gauge out of an abundance of caution, but that's just me. (And yes, in wire gague the higher the number, the thinner the wire.) Again, I wouldn't go with Radio Shack because of price. If there's Loew's or a Home Depot near by (scroll down to bottom of page) you can get the same thing for less.

Regards,

Joe

joey88

Grip
Real Name
Joe Juidiciani
I agree prices are much better at home depot..... I kind of wanted something in the color white though.....

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by joey88

I agree prices are much better at home depot..... I kind of wanted something in the color white though.....

Well, aesthetics count for something, too, and the price difference isn't that huge.. My wiring is mostly hidden behind my couch, end tables and my entertainment center, with only about a 12 ft run from the front of the room to the back "out in the open". That runs along the track of the my sliding glass doors through a white plastic wire channel, which I also got at Home Depot.

Regards,

Joe

joey88

Grip
Real Name
Joe Juidiciani
Question, I have a nintendo Wii. Can you tell me where I would plug this in to the back of the receiver. I am confused.

I should mention, my receiver is a pioneer vsx-920K. I have the standard Wii hook-up (Not component cables). My understanding is that this will somehow this will be upconverted via the receiver. I will try to find a picture of the back of the receiver and post it on here.

Thanks!

joey88

Grip
Real Name
Joe Juidiciani
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/vsx-920_rear_callouts.jpg

Here's the receiver....

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Joe,

The standard output for Wii is composite video (yellow RCA jack) and stereo audio (red and white RCA jacks).

From the looks of the back panel on the receiver, there are 4 "standard" inputs (BD, DVD, TV/SAT, and DVR/VCR), and two "assignable" inputs (the component video inputs).

What other sources do you currently have and what inputs are they hooked to?

You should connect the video and audio jacks for the Wii into whichever of the "standard" inputs are not currently being used. Make sure the video jack and audio jacks are both connected to inputs that are labeled the same.

The video input connections are the block of yellow RCA plugs to the left of the speaker binding posts and above the component video connections. The corresponding audio plugs are farther to the left.

Be careful that you plug the Wii jacks into "inputs" and not "outputs".

Hope this helps. Good luck!

joey88

Grip
Real Name
Joe Juidiciani
Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Also, would it make sense to buy the component cables for the Wii? I am hesitant, because I guess the receiver is supposed to up-convert the signal anyways. So, would using the component wii connection to the receiver give any extra bonus?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I think the benefits would be pretty minimal since going component will only allow the Wii to push 480p instead of 480i - the video signal will still be upconverted to your TVs native resolution either in the receiver (if you have it set up to do this) or most definitely in the TV itself.

The only situation I can think of where there may be a quantitative benefit is if (and I don't know specifically how the graphics are generated by a Wii, so this all may be wrong) the graphics are "natively" rendered as 480p within the Wii, and are "downrezzed" to 480i internally by the Wii for composite video output.

Going with component video output then might bypass this conversion step, and (at least in theory), any time you can skip a processing step in the video chain, you end up with an improved final image.

The lack of HD video support is the main reason I've not gotten a Wii for myself (I've played several times though and have had a lot of fun). I'm anxiously awaiting the next generation Wii which most certainly ought to finally have HD output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks