What's new

Help with poor bass response in media room (1 Viewer)

TexasStation

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Hello,
Basically my situation is this...
I have a dedicated media room approx. 16 X 21', with two rows of 4 recliners (back row on a 6" riser). I use the Audyssey calibration on my Denon AVR3808 receiver, and the back row (especially the two end seats nearest the back corners) is getting overpowering low frequencies from the subs, while the front row is getting next to no bass response whatsoever. I have been struggling with this for a few months and I think I've tried just about everything (multiple subs, different locations, crossover frequencies, phase adjustments, etc.). I even tried stacking up some foam in the two back corners and I'm still not seeing any improvement. I think I'm at the point now where I want to have a professional come in and evaluate the room for acoustical panels and/or bass traps, since what I've read seems to point toward standing waves and null areas in the room causing the problem. Just would like to know if anyone has any recommendations either online or locally (Dallas area) and also what exactly I should be looking for. Thanks!

Lukeas14

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Lucas
Sorry I have no recommendations on a professional in your area and unfortunately it is almost impossible to get a bass response that is equal across all frequencies in all parts of a room unless that is taken into consideration during construction

You might get lucky moving subs and changing crossover frequencies at random but believe it would be a lot of help and a lot less frustrating to do it with some scientific reasoning. If you're not already set on hiring a professional I would suggest to research "room modes". An understanding of how room dimensions affects bass travel and interaction should give you some insight into why you are having bass nulls in some areas and peaks in other areas.

These problems are always easier to solve with multiple subs. Use one in the optimum sub position, whatever that may be for your room and the other to compensate for the shortcomings of the other. Bass traps can never hurt and will reduce some of the boomyness that builds up in the corner of a room. Bass is only affected by denser materials so soft foam won't do any good no matter where you put it.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks