What's new

Help with Paradigm Speaker Decision (1 Viewer)

Mark_Sw

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm getting ready to purchase a Paradigm speaker system and I'm not sure which one to go with. My choices are:

Option 1: A used (but full warranty) set of real wood Studio 100 V.2s with matching center and ADP-370 surrounds for $2400.

or

Option 2: A new set Monitor 7s, cc370, and mini-monitors as surrounds for $1375.

My initial budge was $2000 but I'm willing to stretch it a little for a good deal.

I plan on using an old Carver TMF-42 amp hooked through a Yamaha rx-v2300 to push the 100s if I go with option 1. I would use the rx-v2300 w/o amp for option 2. In addition I have a SVS PC+ 20-39 sub for the system.

I currently watch movies 80% of the time but I expect that to drop to 60% after getting a decent system.

Also, my ht room is about 1500 ft3 and has an open wall so it is not an ideal setup.

I really like the sound of the 100s but I would expect to for an additional $1000. The Monitor 7s (Option 2) sounded the best to me out of the systems I audition in my $2000 price range.

My biggest concern is the 100s will be overkill for my small ht.

Your help is appreciated!

Mark

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
Those are two very different systems. THe studio set would be the way to go if $$ is no object. Also, the studio set you put together has dipoles (or are they bipoles?) and the monitor set does not. You are not comparing like objects here.

If you do a lot of music, I'd go with the studio 100s. The clarity of the midrange is worlds different between the paradigm studio line and the monitor line. (IMHO) But, if you are mostly HT, then either system will rock that room.

Also, i wouldnt worry about those 100s being "used". They will be performing as well in 2030 as they are today.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are stretching your initial budget by $400, I would say the Studio option is definitely the better of the two.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mark,

You say that you expect your music listening to jump from 20% to 40% once you get a decent pair of speakers. To me this means that music is important to you and therefore I suggest getting the Studio package.

The 20-39 PC+ will do great for your low end.

Good luck,

Alex

For music, I'd spend the estra money and buy the Studio package. I have a pair of Monitor 9's and they're great for HT, but for music I wish they were a bit better.

- Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks