What's new

Help with ONKYO 606!! (1 Viewer)

drvai

Grip
Real Name
Felipe
Hello to everyone. Finally I bought my system, including a onkyo 606 and Boston MCS100 speakers. Last weekend a saw an entire movie on BLUE RAY with no problems (PS3 to onkyo and then to TV. All HDMI).

Today I tried to watch another movie and after 10 minutes the receiver turned off. Seems that is the power protection mode.

I really haven´t made any changes since last weekend EXCEPT for the fact that I changed the crappy OEM cable from the speakers to a monster cable. That's it. The movie does play with the volume on 1 but not with the volume on high (about 40). I was thinking that maybe the furniture piece where I have the receiver is not ventilated enough (the back is closed, just with a hole to pass the cables). Last weekend I saw the movie just after hooking up the system and today actually was working for a while (and hot) when I started this other movie.

Any ideas? I really don't want to go through the tech service.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You probably have wires touching each other. Recheck all your connections.

Also, it may be too late now, but please don't feed the Mon$ter. No need to spend hundreds on cables when you can get them from monoprice, blue jeans, or radio shack.

drvai

Grip
Real Name
Felipe
Thank you! I'll get banana connectors I guess.

Won't buy more monster cables.

drvai

Grip
Real Name
Felipe
UPDATE:
Ok, I went through the speaker setup again to see if I could detect some problem. Each time the left surround speakers gets "signal" and the sound that comes out of it is very low in comparison to the rest, the systems goes off. I tried with the different speakers, so something is wrong with the amp of that channel.

I will have to exchange it. I was so happy with the onkyo "external" quality...

drvai

Grip
Real Name
Felipe
Exchanged the receiver and now everything works!!!

Thanks to all!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks