What's new

Help with "old" RCA TV (1 Viewer)

TonyMAR

Auditioning
I have a 27" RCA TV in the bedroom. Model # F27730EM. It says RCA Home Theatre on the upper left hand corner and Sound Retrieval System on the upper right corner. It is about 10 or 11 years old. I recently bought an inexpensive DVD Player for the TV. There are two AV inputs on the back of the TV. I have the DVD player connected to the input labeled VCR 1. My problem is how do I switch to the different inputs? The remote control has two buttons marked VCR 1 and VCR 2. Pressing either of these buttons changes the TV to a specific channel but does not change the input. If you go in to the setup menu you have the option of changing the VCR 1 and VCR 2 channels to whatever the current channel is. Does anyone have this TV?????????

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Tony, What channels does it change to? Do you have the Original Remote that came with the TV or is it a Universal RCA Remote that your using? Also if I remember right? on some of the older RCA sets Channel 91 Selected Video Input 1, 92 Selected Video Input 2 & Channel 93 Selected Video Input 3 so try those channel numbers & see if it switches them to the different Video Inputs. Also on some of the older RCA sets that had a VIDEO OUTPUT to send the picture to a VCR & etc you Selected Channel 90. If you are using a Universal RCA Remote let me know & I can tell you what other buttons to use to get to the different menus. I think there were 3 Different menus on those sets, A Main Menu (2 different pages), A Video Menu & A Audio Menu. Hope this helps you out!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Also, For "Newer" RCA Models I think Channel Zero, Zero Once was Input 1, Zero, Zero Twice was Input 2 & etc. Your remote should have a button on it though that says "Input" & if you push it Once you should get Video 1, Twice Video 2 & etc. A friend of mine did have an older RCA set though & that was one of the first things that failed on him was being able to select his only Video Input. When his set was working right pressing the "Input" button would switch the set to Input & if his VCR wasn't "ON" it would read "Unusable Signal" & if he selected Channel 00 it would read the same thing but when his set failed the TV would'nt even let him select the Channel 00 & the "Input" button din't work anymore. If I remember right again, the VCR Channel in the Setup Menu could be set to Channel 00 (Input), Channel 03 or Channel 04 that way everytime he pressed the VCR1 Button the set automatically switched to the channel he had entered for the VCR to play on & you could do the same thing for a Cable Box.

Channel 00 = Video Input (VCR Connected Using TV Inputs)
Channel 03 = Channel 3 (TV Antenna Input VCR RF Output CH 3)
Channel 04 = Channel 4 (TV Antenna Input VCR RF Output Ch 4)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Tony, you might want to go to RCA's website & download the RCA Owners Manual for Model F27701BK I'm pretty sure the menus & etc are like your model. I wasn't able to find your model though. Check pages 20 & 21 & it will give you info on how to get to the inputs & etc. From just reading it quickly I got:

Channel 90 = Video 1 (When using the S-Video Input)
Channel 91 = Video 1 (When using the Composite Video Input)
Channel 92 = Video 2

So if you go into the menu & set VCR 1 or VCR 2 to one of the above Channel Numbers everytime you push the VCR 1 or VCR 2 Buttons the TV will automatically switch to the Correct Input as well as turn your TV & VCR "On" Because it's an older set pushing the VCR 1 Button for your DVD Player will not turn the DVD Player "ON" (At least I don't think so?) but it will set the TV to the correct Input if you have programmed it correctly.

TonyMAR

Auditioning
Thanks for the help! I searched RCA's site for the manual also and couldn't find it. I didn't think to try another manual. Just like you said: Channel 90 = Video 1 (When using the S-Video Input)Channel 91 = Video 1 (When using the Composite Video Input)Channel 92 = Video 2
:D How intuitive.:D I can't believe I didn't try that combination first! :D

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Tony, Glad it worked out for you & who would really think that some channels in the 90's might be the Video Inputs because I think only RCA ever used this system. Also I think the set you have is a 1992-93 model & I think your set was RCA's Top-Of-The-Line model at the time & that was way back when RCA was making pretty dran good sets. How does the DVD picture look on it compared to the newer sets?

Bill, Thank You SOO MUCH!! I just recently picked up a used RCA t.v. the was made in '92 and I had no idea how to get the video inputs to work until I found this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks