Help with new home theater system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Sykes, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Mark_Sykes

Mark_Sykes Auditioning

Aug 9, 2002
    I’m looking to put together a home theater system for a new house. I have a max budget of $2250. I hope you could offer some good advice as to which brands would suit this project.
    This is what I will need...for the surround sound system (room dimensions 16 X 23)
    DVD player (progressive)
    2 bookshelf speakers
    1 center channel speaker
    1 subwoofer
    surge protector
    cables and speaker wire
    (2 8” symphony select in ceiling speakers will already be installed for the rear speakers-are these speakers any good?)
    also need a separate receiver and cd player (5 disc changer) to run 4 outdoor speakers. (speakers already installed..not sure what brand but a marine speaker)
    If you need any more info, please let me know
    Will be getting a new TV (36” HDTV) at a later date.
    Thanks for the help
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Mark, what has your own research revealed thus far?
  3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Jul 15, 2000
    Maybe consider checking out eBay to pick up a CD changer and receiver/amp for the outdoors system. I doubt you'll need audiophile-level equipment for out there, and eBay can help you get the gear VERY inexpensively.
    A friend of mine just picked up six different CD changers on eBay for under $30 each--all of them functional. So I know there are deals around there.
    DVD player-wise, you couldn't go wrong with the Panny RP82, if you can find one.
    Bill Kane's contribution to the HTF Primer on Surge Protectors: here
    And his overview to budget (