What's new

Help with new enclosure? (1 Viewer)

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Is regular 3/4" plywood (5 layers) ok for a sub enclosure? I plan on bracing with either the same plywood or mdf...

I have an all mdf box already built for my av12, it's 3.5 cu-ft. Problem is it vibrates and rattles once the volume reaches moderate levels. When you put your hands on the side panels, it feels like the box is being pounded, like somebody punching it from the inside. It's a mess since some of my cuts weren't flat and I didn't brace it properly...

So I have a couple choices now... build a new box, with flat/perfect cuts out of the 5 layer plywood, brace it HEAVILY and properly. Or Tack on the 5 layer plywood onto the outsides of my current all mdf box.
What do you guys think?

A

Anthony_Gomez

5 layer ply is ok. 13ply baltic birch is much better.

Personally, I would built a new and proper box. I find that an outer layer of 3/4" MDF with an inner layer of 3/4" BB and 3/4" BB bracing works really really well. but...this is a bit of work and added expense.

it comes down to this for you. If you really like wood working and you aren't normally hunting for change in the couch/washer to make ends meet;), then building a new box is how I would go. ..otherwise, I'd just laminate a layer of 3/4" MDF or 3/4" 13ply BB.

..this of course is strickly my opinion :D

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response Anthony. I do want to build a new box and do it right. I was mainly concerned about the strength of the 5 layer ply. Do you think I should brace with mdf or the same ply?

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
You'll find the MDF cuts much easier than cheap plywood. Less tear our. Also finishes easier.

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Yea I would use all mdf too...problem is I had my friend cut the plywood already, since it's all he had lying around. I originally planned on using the ply to attach onto my current box. But now I'm thinking of building a completely new box and just supplying the mdf to him for the braces, so he doesnt have to do that much more cutting.

He cut me all this ply already and I'd hate to ask him to cut the panels all over again in mdf... Would there really be that great of a difference between an all mdf and a ply/mdf box if it'll be heavily braced? Because I plan on going bracing crazy with this box...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks