Help with My Pictures folder

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EarleD, Dec 10, 2007.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I was downloading some pictures from my camera and realized that "My Pictures" folder in the start menu is linked to a copy of that folder on a ext. drive(my backup of the folder). If I click on "My Pictures" properties it shows the source as the ext drive(drive g).

How do I relink/remap to the proper "My Pictures(drive c)" folder in "My Documents"?

Thanks in advance

2. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Right click on the folder in the start menu and choose properties. Then change the target location to C:Documents and SettingsxxxxxxxxMy Documents where xxxx is your user name

3. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Dennis

Thanks for the help. I dont have the option to change the target location. The two options after properties is "general and sharing"

Earle

4. Dennis*G

what OS are you using?

5. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I'm not sure how you unlinked the shortcut and the actual folder in the first place. [​IMG] I'm guessing that you initially selected "move" rather than copy, to get the folder to the external drive, then later copied the files back when you spotted the error. I'd try this:

Copy the contents of your C drive "My Pictures" folder to another folder in "My Documents", just to be on the safe side.

Right click on the stand-alone "My Pictures" on the external drive and choose "move". Make C:...My DocumentsMy Pictures" the destination. When prompted say "yes" or "OK" to the prompt to overwrite the existing folder and "yes to all' for any subfolders and their contents.

Once the move is complete the shortcut on the Start menu should once again point to "My DocumentsMy Pictures". You can now copy and paste the folder back to the external drive.

This should work. Let us know.

Regards,

Joe

7. Dennis*G

I did not read closely enough last night to see that it is your pictures folder, not the documents folder. sorry about that.

Joseph has some good advice and hopefully that will fix you up. another ting you might be able to try and right click on the start button and choose properties, start menu tab, customize button, advanced tab and de-select the show my pictures folder. Save that, then reverse it to show it again and see if that clears up the mapping.

8. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

thanks for the help guys. I don't have the move option after right clicking the my pictures folder on the ext drive.

Any other suggestions?

Earle

9. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I found the move command and I think I'm All set. Thanks a lot for the help.

Earle