Help with ICK!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Got a 55 fresh water tank with about 10 fish consisting of tin foil barbs, black skirts, gouramies(sp?), and a pleco. I've been using Riddick with weekly 30-40% water changes but still no luck - the ick appears to leave but shows back up. Any advice would be helpful.

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I always put a tablespoon of non iodised salt in the tank every water change and never had any trouble with ick, I also keep the water a bit warmer than needed.

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

A diatom filter, used on occasion, will keep the tank ick free.

Mort

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Real good info here on "ick".

Hope this helps.

Brian

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The weekly water changes could be part of the problem. Ich usually occurs during periods of seasonal change, when the water temperature is unstable, or the fish are stressed. I would cut back to once a month, assuming you have adequate filtration for the stock you have. I use Super Ich Plus and just follow their directions. Remember that you can't kill it when it's visible, it is only when the parasite is water borne that the treatment works. Upping the temperature accelerates the life cycle.

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Jeff, the water changes became weekly because I had to change the water with each application of Riddick. I've ordered a more robust heater and may look at your brand of treatment as well. Thanks for all of the responses.

7. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

We had a very bad case of ick in our salt water aquarium and lost over $1200 worth of fish (though one survived but he somehow managed to jump out of the tank about a year later and we found him all dried out [​IMG] ). There are some solutions that you can buy that you should be able to find at your local aquarium store. I hope that you have better luck then we did.

8. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Just got a new 150 watt heater for my 55 gal tank. Any suggestions on what I should set the water temp at?