What's new

Help with HDMI connections on Pioneer Elite receiver. (1 Viewer)

PTDOCTOR

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
Hi Guys,

3 yrs ago started putting together a little system.....got as far as getting a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS, Oppo 970, and speakers. Priorities changed and put things on hold for a long time. Well last night I just picked up a new Sony 40v5100 LCD and Ps3 Slim. Most of the time I can figure this stuff out, but I have been reading online and studying my manuals for hours and my brain is fried.

Here is what I need to know: I have an HDMI cable running from the HDMI out on my receiver into the HDMI in on the tv. To get the sound from the tv to go through the receiver do I still need to run an audio out connection from the tv to the receiver or does the audio run both ways through HDMI?

I have the PS3 connected by HDMI to the HDMI in connection on the receiver. The PS3 shows up on the tv, but the audio is only through the tv speakers.

I am not sure if I have the wires correct and just the receiver set up wrong or what.

In the receivers manual it states:
"set the HDMI parameter in to THROUGH if you want to hear HDMI audio output from your TV or plasma display(no sound will be heard from this receiver)."
Does this setting make the receiver only a pass through? Maybe someone with this receiver can help.

Thanks,

Joel

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Un-fortunately I don't have the 82, in fact neither of my receivers are hdmi but maybe I can help a little anyway.

To get the sound from the tv to go through the receiver do I still need to run an audio out connection from the tv to the receiver or does the audio run both ways through HDMI?
HDMI only goes one way. From the receiver to the tv. If you have a cable or satillite box then connect it's digital output to one of the receivers digital input. if you don't have a box and your tv has a digital output then connect it to one of the receivers inputs. If you hook the tv up to your receiver with the red and white analog cables instead of the digital output the receiver will only receive a stereo signal, not a surround sound one.

I have the PS3 connected by HDMI to the HDMI in connection on the receiver. The PS3 shows up on the tv, but the audio is only through the tv speakers.

I am not sure if I have the wires correct and just the receiver set up wrong or what.

In the receivers manual it states:
"set the HDMI parameter in to THROUGH if you want to hear HDMI audio output from your TV or plasma display(no sound will be heard from this receiver)."
Does this setting make the receiver only a pass through? Maybe someone with this receiver can help.
It does sound like that setting makes it a pass-thru. If you want sound from the PS3 to emit from the receiver then it looks like you need to change that setting. To get sound from the PS3 to the tv with the receiver off as well then hook another audio output ( like the red and white L/R if it has them) from the PS3 to the tv in addition to a digital connection to the receiver.

This stuff has become very confusing.

PTDOCTOR

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
Thanks Gene that clarified some things for me. I now have PS3 coming through audio system and will get the TV audio going next.

Thanks again

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Are all your components hdmi capable? If so, then I would think you should run all the source components to the receiver via hdmi cable (assuming you have enough hdmi inputs), then run a single hdmi cable to the tv. If you have speakers, then you don't need to have your tv speakers turned on (I don't). If everything is going to the tv from the receiver, then you do not need an "audio" connection going from the tv to the receiver.

I would imagine that if you are getting audio through your tv speakers from the ps3, then one of the settings is incorrect in one of your components. I know that I have to read my manuals over and over and over until I can figure out exactly what they are saying. They never seem to say anything in simple terms or terms that I understand. Usually it clicks a couple of days later when I am rereading parts of it.

Good luck with your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks