What's new

Help with HD distorted picture (1 Viewer)

BrentRS1985

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent
I can't figure this out. I have a ps3 going through an Integra dtr-30.1 receiver to a samsung UN46B6000 hdtv all with hdmi cables. While viewing the ps3 menu, or watching a dvd I get some snow over the picture and a few horizontal lines flashing randomly. I can still see the picture but it is not ideal. The picture looks perfect while viewing blu ray's. I have tried changing the hdmi cable and using a different input on the receiver. I also had this problem with a samsung bdp3600 blu ray player. I do notice that I see the distortion when my tv tells me the input is 60 hz, and the distortion goes away whenever the input is 24 hz. I changed the setting on my ps3 to have it at 24 hz, but that seems to only keep it at 24 while viewing blu rays, it goes back to 60 when viewing anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Try running the HDMI directly to the TV instead of through the receiver. There's no good reason why the receiver should be causing that issue, but I think it's important to test that to determine the issue.

BrentRS1985

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent
When I run the hdmi directly to the tv the picture is perfect, so the receiver seems to be causing the issue. I did notice that I turned off the up convert in the ps3 setup menu so while watching a normal dvd the tv input is 720 @ 60 hz and the picture is fine. But only when the input on the tv is 1080p @ 60 hz do I get this interference. I am watching blu rays at 24 hz and do not have an issue, and as long as I watch regular dvd's at 720 I have no issue, but still the menu screens have this distortion and I haven't played one yet, but video games might as well. I am not too impressed with the integra receiver's menu options and really don't know if there is a setting I have wrong, or if the receiver it's self is faulty.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
It sounds to me like you need better cables.

There are two grades of HDMI cable. Category 1 is certified only for 1080i (interlaced) video. Category 2 is certified for 1080p video. 1080p requires twice the bandwidth as 1080i. Low bandwidth cables degrade the signal so that some of the bits aren't detected by the receiving equipment (TV or receiver). The lost pixels are random and look like sparkles all over the screen.

Do not waste your money on Monster brand cables. Cat2 cables are readily available at low cost.

BrentRS1985

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent
Well thats funny, because my mom paid a whole bunch of money for a company to come out and hook everything up. I would assume they wouldn't cheap out on cables, but it doesn't surprise me. Random sparkles all over the screen is exactly what I am experiencing. Looks like they are getting a call on monday.
Thanks guys for your help, its been driving me nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks