What's new

Help with first REAL tv (1 Viewer)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I finally have the money to buy a new tv and I would like some sort of direction to go in. I know that I want 120Hz processing and 1080p. I went to Sears and was looking at some 46" LCD models by Samsung and Sony. Both were rather comparable with similar options and price. I wish I could budget a 52", but I would prefer to keep the limit at around $1600. This is all new to me so any help would be great. I want to buy it in the next couple of weeks as prices drop and sales go on for the holidays.

Head level in the two recliners will be about 9 feet from the screen. I'm purchasing a Denon 2808CI and a new HD box from Dish to help bring my HT up to date. I'm not sure at 9ft if 52" is too big, or if 46" is too small. Or if the fact that I want an awsome tv for $1600 is ridiculous.

Thanks!

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks.

It says for 50,000:1 and 120Hz, to upgrade to series 6. To stay in my price range and get the better tv, i'd have to downsize to 46". Is there a big difference between 52 and 46?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
yeah, there's a pretty good difference.
See them in local stores, to see just how much difference.
Sorry, I didn't notice it wasn't 120Hz. It must be last years model.
Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) has some very good sales. You might want to wait and check them out.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Good idea. I REALLY would like that 52". Funny thing though. Went to SEARS and they has the 46" series 6...the one on amazon for $1500...well, it was on sale at sears for $1700. Yes...on sale and still $200 more. Not to mention, the sale was ending today, and after today it goes back to over $1900. So as much as I would LOVE the series 6 52"...I highly doubt it will fall down into my price range.

Think there is any chance the stores will drop a Samsung LN46A650 down $400 to match amazon? The 52" on amazon is $2000, I didn't even look at Sears.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Our Sam's Club has an area in the back corner that they move floor models to, to sell them at reduced prices. As far as I know they still have full warranty on them. If you have Sam's Club or Costco or BJ's, you might want to check them out also.

I'm wanting a 61" to 72" set, so I'll be going for a Samsung DLP with the LED light, instead of bulb & color wheel. Hope to get it the first of the year. May have to wait until March. I have room for it, so why not?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Haha, "why not" is the same reason I'm spending $1600 on a 46". If I had more...I'd spend more!

I will check with Costco though. That's a good idea.

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Costco.com is selling the Sharp Aquos 46D64U for 1,199 with shipping included. They also have a package of 2 of these for 1,999.99 plus 99.99 in shipping.

I'm checking these out, thats why I'm here tonight.

smith700

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Smith
Wait for Black Friday and see if you find a good deal. That LN52A650 is a pretty good model even without 120Hz. Try to find it in a store and see if you are bothered by how it handles fast moving images like sports. If you don't notice any edge blur then there's no reason for 120Hz.

The A650 series are better than A550. cNet rates A650 "excellent" while for A550 it gives a "very good". I suggest reading cNet reviews of the models - they are very in-depth. Also check out their "top LCD TV" page, though I think you're a bit too short on money.
Samsung LN52A650 LCD TV Review - TopHTReviews.com
Samsung LN46A550 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

Oh, screen size matters. There is a recommended distance for each screen size - optimal size for 1080p at 9ft is 65" or larger. Optimal distance for 1080p on 50" is 6.5 ft. Check out the table at the bottom of this page (I am sure if you use google you can find exact LCD sizes too):
Plasma TV Size & Optimal Viewing Distance

Good luck!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sears will have the Samsung 46" 1080p LN46A530 LCD HDTV for $1199.99 on Black Friday.

Pundits' predictions are for substantial price drops in TVs for holiday shopping.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
FYI -- While it's a little above your stated price, Circuit City is running the 7 series model with a free Samsung BluRay player and 3 years of 0% financing right now. That's a pretty sweet deal on a great tv.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
While tempting...I don't think I can justify the 7 series for the price. I just won't use the extras. Also...blue-ray IS awsome, but for me...I just don't collect enough movies or rent enough to also justify a blue-ray player. Once (maybe 2-3yrs) regular DVD's start to fizzle out...then I'll get into the blue-ray scene and whatever else may be happening in the A/V world.

And like I said before...I find waaaaaaaay to easy to blow my budget, and here you are suggesting I buy even more!!! hahaha

I have come to realize though...that I need at least 52" now. And from what people are saying...I would be better with the series 5 52", rather than the series 6 46". If the 50,000:1 ratio and 120Hz isn't much of a visible difference than the 30,000:1 and 60Hz of the 52"...then I'm sold.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The online ad says it's the Series 6. I don't know if that's a significant difference in quality & featuers.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Series 6 is what I want. I'm going to check out the sale now. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a series 5 52".

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Forgive me for responding to my own posts...but I stand corrected. Through another thread I have going searching for a Denon 2809...I have been informed it is a relatively bad idea to buy an LCD from an unlicensed dealer. So...perhaps I WILL pay a bit more for peace of mind.

On that note...what is the typical warranty for samsung LCD's? How can I find licensed online dealers?

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I know it's already been mentioned that the lower price does not appear to be from an authorized dealer. It also looks like shipping would be $300 (since they recommend not using "ground" for tv's) which makes the price a little closer (although it still doesn't make up the full difference).

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Are the added/extra features of the series 6 worth the extra money, or if money is an issue is an extra 6" (46-52) and a series 5 the better decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks