What's new

help with connections (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i'm not completely new to stereo and wiring stuff up, but i've only had my multi-channel receiver a few years, and have yet to take full advantage of it, since i only have a single pair of speakers.

but yesterday, I decided i'd at least connect my two VCRs to it properly. until know, I've split the RF coax cable, and run one side to VCR2, the other side to my cable box and then out via RCA to VCR1. RCA oiuts also from the cable box to the tv inputs of the receiver. the line-out of VCR2 runs to the line-in2 of VCR1, and the output from there runs to the receiver, a Denon 3300. RCA out from the receiver to the tv(no S-video or component connections on the tv.

i wanted to connect it up correctly, VCR2's outputs to the Denon's VCR2 inputs, the Denon's VCR2 outputs to the vcr's inputs, and similarly with VCR1. so far i've only switched VCR2. I assumed that by doing this, whatever source signal went from the cable box via the TV/DBS input on the receiver would be seen when the vcr had the line input selected, but all i get is blue screen. when i play a tape in VCR1, and set VCR2 to record, it will record the signal, and likewise with a tv signal. but I can't view the program being recorded if i set thereceiver to VCR2, all i get is blue screen. the only time i can see the tv pcture when VCR2 is selected on the receiver is when i have the RF cable connected and use the vcr's tuner.

is this normal, or should i be able to see whatever signal is being passd through the receiver to the VCR?and if I should, what do i have to change with my connections/settings to be able to do so?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You are Creating a video "loop". You need to use the receivers Multi-Rec out switch and switch that to the source that you want the line in on the VCR2 to see. If you haven't changed that and have the Reciever set to VCR2 the Receiver is sending VCR2 out to line in on VCR2 and Line Out of VCR2 back to Line In On VCR2.. That's where the loop is thus you are getting a blue screen. Change the Mulit-Rec out to TV. That should solve your viewing problems while recording or if you are recording from VCR1 to VCR2 then Set the Multi record out to VCR1. Refer to page 41 of your user manual. If you are missing the manual here it is...

http://usa.denon.com/avr3300_ownersmanual.pdf

RobertW

Supporting Actor
thank you.

I just figured this out today, before I came to check on this post.

I figured that if I was choosing VCR2 as the "source", and it was set to line-level, it was just seeing nothing, and then sending that nothing out, and then back in. source and destination were the exact same, and so I just had blue screen.

I remembered that I had used the multi/rec button to copy via my cassette decks, and so i tried this out with the VCR2, presssed the "multi/rec" button, set "source" to "TV/DBS" and lo and behold, I had a signal.

so thanks for your help anyway, but I guess my mind finally cleared enough to be able to grasp the problem on my own. so many connections and options with these home theater receivers that I never had to deal with before. but a little time and patience(and of course, helpful places likethis forum), and I might be able to figure out how to use this thing. ;)

now i just gotta replace a couple cheap cables that i discovered were defective while i was re-wiring everything. lost the right channel audio, which at first i thought might be a loose connection within the in/out board of the VCR, replaced the cable with a cheap set of composite plugs that came with my cassette deck, and everything worked fine.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
ok, one other question.

while in the process of re-doing these connections, I also decided to upgrade my cables that needed it, although I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money. So after checking this site to see if AR cables were still well thought of, I ordered some from Accessories4less

even though my TV doesn't have an S-Video input(yes, it's that old), I ordered a couple anyway, one for the cable box/receiver connection, and another for the DVD player. I know that if I'm still running composite out to the TV, there won't really be much of an improvement, if any, but I figured what the hell, they were on sale cheap.

But upon hooking them up, I see there's no video picture. Checking my Denon 3300 owners manual, I see it says that signals from the pin jacks(composite) and S-video follow independent circuit structures, so my reading of that is that signals going in via S-Video will not output through composite, and vice versa. Is this correct, and so my S-Video cables are useless in this situation?

And useless for the future as well, since a new TV will be connected via component or better.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You guessed correct!

Most newer AV receivers will upconvert and output everything on the Component Video (Green, Blue,Red) or even HDMI to your TV. So if you upgrade your receiver in the future and your best output on the Source equipment is s-video you can use those in the future. The only other option is to get an S-Rca converter. You'd be going backwards, but it would work. You can pick one up at any local Radio Shack for about $5.00. It's really not going to improve your picture to any extent with your current equipment.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
well, i took one of the S-video cables over to my parents' house, and connected their dvd player to the TV with it. got a friend who might be able to use the other one. luckily, they didn't cost me much.

as for me, i'll just stick with RCA until i can afford to buy the Anthem pre-pro. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks