What's new

help with connecting samsung dvd-r to tv (1 Viewer)

kahlilJ

Agent
I recently bought the samsung dvd-vr325. Does anyone know how to set this unit up so that it can be selected from my television's AV1 or AV2 input?

This seems simple enough to answer easily, but I can only get my vr325 to display on my TV if the TV channel is set to 3 (or 4). I replaced my Sony VCR with the vr325. I used the same connections for the vr325 as i had with the VCR i.e., the output from the vr325 connected to my stereo receiver & then from my receiver to the TV's AV1 inputs.

I basically want to be able to play my vr325 by changing the input selection on my TV (AV1 or AV2, etc.) & not by changing the TV channel. hope this makes sense.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
It sounds as if you you currently have it connected with a coax/antenna. You need to connect it with a left and right audio cable and video, S-cable or component cables into eith AV1 or AV2 input.

kahlilJ

Agent
reginald, thanks for your response. it does seem like that is the only connection my tv is recognizing, but i did have the other a/v cables connected. here's what i did tonight:

i tried various combinations of connections & 2 things i am certain of:

1) there is a problem going thru my receiver with the samsung output (regardless of the samsung signal being the tv tuner, vcr or dvd). i say this because i tried two output signal connection options from the samsung (S-video & composite) thru the receiver & neither worked. but when i tried those same connections directly to the tv, they did work. the odd thing to me is, i never had a problem going thru my receiver using the old vcr & i even tried the samsung signal thru 2 different inputs (AV1 & AV2) on the receiver.

2) it seems that my s-video cable is no longer working or maybe has a short in it? when i first did the direct connection from the samsung to my tv using this cable, i got a signal. that is, tv was set to AV1 & samsung was playing (tape or tv from its on-board tuner). the s-video (& audio) cables were connected to the tv's AV1 inputs.

all was fine, except one thing - everything was in black & white! no color- except i could see a small blue shaded area in the left corner of the tv. i switched tv channels on the samsung (it has on-board tv tuner) - same thing. no color. changed the source on the samsung from tv to a tape - same result, no color.

i thought my s-video cable was compromised somewhere. so i tried to ensure it was fairly straight going to the tv & not bent. i pulled it out, re-inserted & nothing. TV display went blank - no audio nor anything!

i switched back to composite cables & everything was fine: i had color; TV was set to AV1 & i could view the samsung's output (TV, tape or DVD).

so i went back to trying to pass signal thru receiver - nada! same result as before - no signal (audio nor video). i am still baffled why i am unable to pass a signal thru my receiver using either s-video or composite. i also realize that the samsung will work with my tv as i expected it to, but my receiver obviously is not cooperating.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I never run any cabling thru my recievers. Running cabling thru recievers adds another unnecessary connection which could lead to the types of problems you are having.

kahlilJ

Agent
yeah tell me about it, but to each his own.

anyone out there with some helpful advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks