What's new

Help with an entry level home theatre system (1 Viewer)

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine has asked me to find them a home theatre system. Thing is, they're on a tight budget, but they know I'm interested in this stuff so they want me to find the best possible. They have a budget of £150.

I have found this Sony home theatre system (second on the list) which looks to match what they're after. I'm much happier suggesting Sony to them than a lot of the brands in this price range.

So, does anyone have any experience of this system? Or can anyone suggest an alternative? Any help would be appreciated, I have a reputation to uphold!!

Cheers!

Dave

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
As their HT advisor you should inform them that at that price range they are getting an extremely low end system that is not very expandable in the future. It has only 1 optical and 1 SCART input, so they'd be limited to one additional source other than their TV. The speaker connections are proprietary, and although it wasn't listed on the spec sheet I'm guesing it's a 3 ohm receiver, so they wil lnot be able to upgrade speakers. This system is closer to a non-portable boombox than it is a HT. Also, the 149 price was only available at one location -pixMania; are they a decent supplier. (It was 209 at Amazon.)

I suggest this as a true entry level HT: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-HT-S5305B-Receiver-Speaker-Package/dp/B003H9NHXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302261866&sr=1-1-spell (of course its more - 315).

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
hehe, this discussion again eh!

Of course I am making clear the limitations of their decision. Im currently trying to pursuade them to just get a good pair of speakers as their room isn't huge and they will be able to get a decent set for £150.

Pixmania are fine in my experience but Ill look into it.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Given your budget quote I assume you are from the UK. Sometimes the equipment we have available in the US may be hard to get in other countries. However, one thing remains the same in all areas of the world, that low end HTib such as the Sony you have listed does not have the necessary modern connections necessary to function as the hub of a HT system. Since you are the designated expert then you should function in that capacity and properly advise your friends. Lord Chesterfield dealt with that issue hundreds of years ago when he said. "When a man asks for your opinion he is really asking for your approval.'

If the Onkyo 5300 unit that Al suggested is available to your friends I think it would make an excellent entry level HTib for your friends. It has a real receiver with all the connections they will need, a powered sub, and the speakers can be upgraded at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks