What's new

Help with a home theater system, please. :) (1 Viewer)

99monguse

Agent
Real Name
brian
Hi all,

We use our rec-room as our gaming/movie room. The dimensions are 14ftx18ft with a 7ft ceiling(split-level house). We are not audiophiles by any means. I play my Xbox 360 a lot, we watch movies and TV down there. Right now I have a Panny 53" 480p/1080i rear projection TV and is soon to be replaced with either a Panny plasma 50-58" 1080p or a LG LED 50-58" 1080p and a BR player. Right now I have a Harmon Karden receiver and a pair of old tower speakers that I'm running in stereo mode (I know, it's sad)!

Due to the short ceiling and relatively small room, since seating is about 8ft from the TV...we really don't have to have a balls-to-the-wall home theater. I think a good HTIB would be fine for this room, and maybe swap the typical 100w powered subwoofer for something like a 250-300watt powered unit. Which system/s do you all think would be a good match for this package? Running wiring to the rear speakers doesn't bother me at all, so I don't think I'd really want wireless rear speakers, in case anyone was wondering...some people don't want bothered with the rear speaker wiring.

I have AT&T U-VERSE with high definition. I would like to run the U-VERSE receiver, xbox 360 and maybe a PS3 with HDMI to the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV. We also would like to be able to use an IPOD with the home theater. What are your suggestions?

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
Do you have a budget for speakers, receiver, sub? This might help in getting you some recommendations that are good bang per buck within your budget.

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
Originally Posted by 99monguse , you're in pretty good shape. Add the best sub in your prices range, and voila!

For subs, look at SVS, HSU, or Elemental Designs to see what is in your pricerange. These places make very good stuff for reasonable pricess and will rock the socks off of any comparable HTiB product.

All the best,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks