What's new

Help with a Dyanamic Range Expander (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hi,
Can you guys help me with my 1BX series 2 dynamic range expander?
See, I'm running it with a Dolby Pro-Logic processor and when watching a dvd it seems to get really hallow and raspy..especially in the center channel...
I really don't know what knobs to push on this thing as it came without directions..
Maybe someone can tell me? I haven't upgraded to monster cable yet and am running 18 gauge, could that be it?
Nathan

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What are you using a dynamic range expander for? Wasn't it made for records and tapes that have a limited dynamic range? DVDs have a wide dynamic range already and the "expander" is likely degrading the sound, or getting overwhelmed by the already wide dynamic range of the DVD soundtrack.
I would try the DVD without the expander; I'll bet you'll get better results.
KJP

TedD

Supporting Actor
You can use it for older mono movies, but I would highly recommend the 3BX for much superior results.
Ted

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hmm...
Thanks for the help.
I bought the Expander because it Expandes the range of the speakers (makes them louder) which it does quite nicely..
I also heard it was to clearify and give headroom...
I guess I should have bought a DBX3 instead of getting a cheaper one faster..
Nathan

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hmm...
Thanks for the help.
I bought the Dynamic Range Expander because it Expandes the range of the speakers (makes them louder) which it does quite nicely..
I also heard it was to clearify and give more headroom...
I guess I should have bought a DBX3 instead of getting a cheaper one faster..
Nathan

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nathan,
The old dbx dynamic range expanders are excellent products, and Kevin is right that they were primarily designed for use with records and tapes. They increase the dynamic range of these formats by significantly reducing the noise floor.
Your 1BX will give you the best results (noise reduction) by setting the “Expansion” control to about 1.3 (30%). Then adjust the “Transition Level” control until the “Gain Change” indicator hits the red and yellow lights evenly during active or “busy” signal sources. This will give excellent dynamic range expansion with tapes.
While the dbx would be useful for say, TV shows in Dolby Surround, I’ll have to agree with Kevin again and say why are you using the 1BX with DVDs? They don’t need dynamic range expansion! It shouldn't degrade the sound (these things were pretty expensive in their day) unless perhaps if you have it grossly misadjusted, but with DVDs that have very quiet passages, like leaves rustling, etc., the dbx could suck those sound effects right out, if the expansion rate was set too high.
Ted is right, the 3BX is a much better processor. You can get the Series II models for about $125 on e-bay. The 3BX performs independent processing on bass, mid and treble frequencies, and does an excellent job on the abovementioned formats plagued with background noise. But you wouldn’t want to use a 3BX on DVDs, either.
The rasping sound you are hearing could be coming from any number of sources. It could be from poorly-recorded program sources, or perhaps when a DVD hits a high signal level it is overloading your Pro-Logic processor. Or, it could just be the center speaker.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Wayne-- thanks for the great help and tips!!
Prior to reading this I did some tests and found that the expander -not the dvd- was conflicting with the Pro-Logic processor.. so, I can only use the Expander to listen without the pro-logic, not to bad, but not the best...
I guess I'll just have to forget about using that dern expander with Pro-Logic and just have to hear it in regular stereo.
Thanks for the help!!!!!
Nathan

NathanP

Supporting Actor
These things do happen to add great volume to my speakers...
[Edited last by NathanP on August 29, 2001 at 06:55 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks