What's new

Help, which DVD player... under $300?? (1 Viewer)

Robert Elrod

Agent
I just purchased a new Toshiba widescreen TV (42HDX82) and want to get a decent progressive scan DVD player.

Here's what I am looking for...
- Under $300
- Progressive Scan
- CD-R support
- not sure if there is a technical term, but the ability to support blacker than black
- MP-3 support would be nice but not necessary
- Not interested in generic brands

Any suggestions?

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second that! I bought a RP56 when they first came out and it does a wonderful job.

Robert Elrod

Agent
Thanks for the help! I picked up an RP82 from Fry's and I am very impressed. The only thing I don't like about this player is the remote. It does the job, but just looks and feels cheaply made.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Sony '715. I also tried the Panasonic '62 but didn't like the cheap remote;however, the Panasonic did seem to have a clearer picture than the Sony.

Jim

DonaldZ

Grip
I'm having a tough time with the Panasonic RP62 & RP82 recommendations. I don't have to spend more money, and I do appreciate a bargain, but they don't shine in the look and feel department.

I suspect my kids will have it trashed within 6 months. Isn't there anything sturdier with decent output? Or must I move way upscale to get a more solid tray and transport mechanism?

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
DonaldZ:

To me, the Sony felt more sturdy than the Panasonic. Go to Circuit City and play with both!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks