Help, which DVD player... under $300??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Elrod, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Robert Elrod

Robert Elrod Agent

I just purchased a new Toshiba widescreen TV (42HDX82) and want to get a decent progressive scan DVD player.

Here's what I am looking for...
    - Under $300
    - Progressive Scan
    - CD-R support
    - not sure if there is a technical term, but the ability to support blacker than black
    - MP-3 support would be nice but not necessary
    - Not interested in generic brands

Any suggestions?

2. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

I'll second that! I bought a RP56 when they first came out and it does a wonderful job.

3. Robert Elrod

Robert Elrod Agent

Thanks for the help! I picked up an RP82 from Fry's and I am very impressed. The only thing I don't like about this player is the remote. It does the job, but just looks and feels cheaply made.

4. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Sony '715. I also tried the Panasonic '62 but didn't like the cheap remote;however, the Panasonic did seem to have a clearer picture than the Sony.

Jim

5. DonaldZ

DonaldZ Extra

I'm having a tough time with the Panasonic RP62 & RP82 recommendations. I don't have to spend more money, and I do appreciate a bargain, but they don't shine in the look and feel department.

I suspect my kids will have it trashed within 6 months. Isn't there anything sturdier with decent output? Or must I move way upscale to get a more solid tray and transport mechanism?

6. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

DonaldZ:

To me, the Sony felt more sturdy than the Panasonic. Go to Circuit City and play with both!

Jim