What's new

Help w/ Projector & Screen Size New Purchase (1 Viewer)

Rambunc

Grip
Real Name
Randy Falk
We're currently finishing up our new home theater in the basement and I'm looking for some advice on screen size and equipment.
The screen wall is 14' across and the ceilings are 7' tall.

The seating distance and projector mount is about 12' back from the screen. Ignore the support pole which will be boxed in.

I'm thinking of ordering the Panasonic PT-AX100U and possibly a 96" screen from Carada. Is this the correct screen size or should I go bigger?

Theater use will be 60% movies and 40% gaming. Here is an important question that I am completely ignorant about - can I just run one HDMI video cable out of my receiver into the projector to cover all the video sources even if some of the video sources are not HD? (Wii, PS2, X-BOX-360, DVD, HD Direct-TV)

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Is your projector also going to be 12ft away? If so then you can get to about 100", but probably not much more than that.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
Your projector and screen size are a great choice. I just bought the same projector and same screen from Carada, but when I placed the projector, the biggest screen I could use was an 80" screen. At 12ft you should be perfect.

As with the cables, you should be ok. I would buy an iScan Video processor (if you want to spend the cash). This will reprocess all inputs and output up to a 1080p signal through one HDMI cable. I will do this when I have the cash.

Rambunc

Grip
Real Name
Randy Falk
I think the video processor is out of my budget at this time after the construction, new receiver, some speakers, and the projector & screen plus I need to save a little for furniture. Perhaps I can add the video processor at a later date when I have the extra cash. For now though I should't have any problem connecting all those components using 1 HDMI cable?

Karynak since you bought the same projector and a similar screen can you tell me what video sources you have connected and how you're running them? Also how was the PT-AX100U out of the box? Did you have to calibrate?

thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Unless your receiver upconverts all signals to HDMI, you need to run the cables to match your other equipment(S-video, component cables). As far as the screen size, you should wait until you project image on the wall, then decide on what size you like best. We can give you ideas, but that doesn't mean you'll like the size. Some people sit in the front of movie theater, some in middle, and some in rear.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

The projector looked great out of the box, but I had to calibrate. I borrowed an Avia dvd and calibrated myself.

I have a DirecTV connected via HDMI and a DVD player connected via Component. I will be buying a new dvd player in the future.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Your room is exactly the same size as mine and I was able to go with a 106" screen. My chairs are 12' back from the screen and the ceiling actually 7' 1", so it is possible to go bigger than 80" for the screen. And no you do not have the screen door effect at that distance with a screen that size. Good luck with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks