What's new

Help w/ dead RCA TV (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I was wondering if anybody can give me some help deciding what to do with my now dead tv. It is a 27" RCA, 1996 vintage.

Last night I heard a pop, then a squealing sound coming from the tv. There was also an odor of burning electronic components.

Basically I am trying to decide if it is worth lugging it down to the repair shop to get an estimate.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Mark

JackS

Supporting Actor
Mark- The time has come for a replacement. If your TV was in perfect working order, you would have a hard time getting $75 bucks for it. I suggest you not spend a dime trying to fix it.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Yeah I know - I was hoping it would last another year or so so I could buy a HDTV without reservation. If I have to buy a new TV now I don't think I will be able to get hdtv since I dont see anything under $1400 or so.

Actually, I was always pleased with the picture from the RCA. I recently calibrated it w/ Avia and I thought the picture looked really nice, especially considering the TV will only accept composite video. My only beef with the set is that it is quite bubble shaped and I have glare problems from it a lot.

Mark

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
So, will your next TV set be an RCA? :D

(They are notorious for being unreliable)

Maybe you can consider an RPTV or a front projector? :)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Just toss it, about ten years ago I bought an RCA tv and it died on me after less than six months. When I took it back to the store they wanted cash just to look at it.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
No, no more RCA for me. Judging by everything I hear I must have gotten lucky with this one - almost 7 years w/o a problem.

I cannot fit a projection TV in where I live now. If I buy a new set it will be 27" or 32", CRT-based flat screen, w/ a 16 by 9 mode. Any recommendations? Figure $800 as the absolute max.

Mark

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 10yr old 27" Toshiba that I am waiting to kick to bucket. I thought it was gone for good about a couple months back when the power kept going out in the area. When I turned the TV back on, it was black&white. If it were to kick the bucket, I can only dream of what tv I would really want to buy. Unfortunately, reality(girlfriend) will pop that thought bubble fast.

No recommendations on tv as I only know Canadian. For $800, you can get a JVC 32"

Happy hunting.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You can get a decent Panasonic direct view TV set. The reliability is not bad on their direct-view CRTs. Although, I have no idea which ones support the 16x9 squeeze trick, except some of the Sony's.

Do you think you could fit a 40" or 42" RPTV? The footprint isn't much bigger than a 32" CRT...wider for the RPTV, but under 2 feet of depth. But then again, direct-view sets tend to be more reliable.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I decided to splurge and get a HD set - the sony 32hs500. They are delivering it on Tuesday - I can't wait!

Boy, those salesmen at Best Buy get really pissy when you decline the extended warrentee. I generally think those things are rip-offs and at $300 (for a $1200 set) I wasn't buying. Can anyone recommend a good internet seller of warrentees? If i can get one for under $150 I would consider it.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks