What's new

Help w/ crossover settings (1 Viewer)

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this here as to not piss off the experts w/ this rather newbie question over at the subwoofer forum. Anyways i have an H/K 325 w/ all my speakers set to small, then for crossovers i have my fronts and center set to 80hz, and my surrounds set to 120. Here is where i'm getting confused...there is then a subwoofer crossover, i listen to about 50/50 music/movies so i set this at 100, am i creating any huge holes this way or should i set the subwoofer x-over to 80? On the sub itself the crossover has been turned all the way up. Thanks for the help.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Chris,

Hopefully I answer this the right way, as I once was confused about the exact same thing. So, all you experts out there call me out if I'm wrong in explaining this or have more to add than my humble explanation.

With the crossovers, you have to look at it from a process point of view (sorry, I used to be a consultant). The sound source (DVD/CD/Satellite/etc.) will send it's audio signal to your H/K receiver. At this point, if you have the crossover set at 80Hz, it will then take all signals at 80Hz and below and send them to the .1 (LFE) output (or pre-out if using an amp). So, on your sub crossover, you need to set it at a minumum at the same level as your receiver, or maybe a little higher just to make sure that you are covered. For example, if all signals 80Hz and below are being sent to the sub, and the sub xover is set at 70Hz, then you will only get 70Hz and below signals out of your sub, thus losing some of your higher bass. Sounds like you are doing the right thing with setting your sub xover to 100Hz. That should give you plenty of overlap to pick up everything from the receiver. Hope this helps. Also, maybe I should ask the administrators if we could get Visio capabilities to draw flowcharts in the reply area...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Most of us here tend to like a lower crossover point ... somewhere between 40-50Hz.

I'd also think about setting the crossover for the rears at 80Hz ... same as the fronts.

If you check the slope on sub crossover you probably find a moderate 12 db lowpass crossover. The cut point for the main speakers is probably a very mild 6DB per octave ...

Sooo the gap between the sub and mid will be very small, and the problem with the 100Hz crossover is that you may hear some male voices through the sub

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
My reasoning for settign the rears at 120 is cuz they are smaller satellites and rated 170-20,00hz. When you say you like a 40-50hz crossover on my receiver does that mean i set the sub to 40, or the sub, fronts, and center to 40?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Leave the mains at 80 and turn the sub to 80.

Sorry, leave the rears at 120.

They must be real small:)

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Bass Management IS a crossover: http://www.mkprofessional.com/bass_mgmt.html

You would have better sound (less distortion) setting everything but the sub to small. I recommend using one, or more subwoofers in mono and implementing the Bass Management feature in your Harmon. Set your sub to the THX recommended crossover point of 80Hz. This will result in even bass response from all six channels. Bass Management creates five full-range speakers with identical 20-20KHz response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks