Help! Sony 36-XBR-400 Problems with "Simpsons" - Season 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff F., Aug 8, 2002.

1. Jeff F.

Jeff F. Stunt Coordinator

I have a 36" Sony XBR-400 and just bought "The Simpsons" - Season 2 DVD set.

The picture looks horrible. Lots of line shifting and every so often the picture starts to blur - especially when the characters are drawn in a long shot, for some strange reason.

The DVDs are not defective as they look ok on our 27" bedroom TV.

The set has been calibrated with Video Essentials, and the only other times I ever see this problem is when I watch a low quality VHS tape on it.

Has anyone else had this problem with this TV and perhaps with "The Simpsons," and is there a fix for it?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Can you be a little more specific as to what you are seeing? Remember, the larger set, an XBR model no less, will show you things your NTSC-only, 27-inch bedroom set is incapable of. Also, what kind of DVD player are you using, and how do you have it connected to the Sony?

3. Jeff F.

Jeff F. Stunt Coordinator

Jack:

Although some scenes look perfect, others become blurred with lots of lines in the picture. The lines seem to shift up and down, which is really annoying. For the most part, the blurred scenes come when the animation is drawn in a far shot, not medium to close-ups, which seems really weird.

It almost seems like digital artifacting, except the picture is not breaking up but getting the horizontal lines and blurring.

I have only seen this before with VHS tapes, not from a DVD or broadcast television.

My DVD player is a Sony DVP-S530D, which is about 2-1/2 years old and not progressive scan. I am using Monster component cables for the video.

I hope this sheds a little more light on the matter. Let me know if you have a solution.

Thanks in advance.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I noticed the up-down shifting when these were first shown on TV. Don't know why they were done like that.