What's new

Help, Sony 32 XBR450 with JVC XV-SA75GD Problem (1 Viewer)

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
I recently got the Sony 32 XBR450 HD compat TV.
I put my Toshiba 2109 DVD player into 16:9 mode connected with component inputs and it worked great.
I wanted to get progressive scan and DVD A capabilities. I purchased the JVC XV-SA75GD player when it was announced the Panasonic RP61 wouldn't be released in US.
When I tell the JVC I have a 16:9 Normal or 16:9 Auto TV the anamorphic images are displayed as if I was using a normal TV...everything tall and skinny.
JVC manual says it works with all JVC TVs but might not with others ... call their service centers. I can't reach anybody tonight and the JVC setup hotline hangs up on me when requesting to talk to a rep.
frown.gif

I called Sony and the rep had no advice other than put the player in 4:3 mode. He didn't understand why I wouldn't be happy with that and had no info about which DVD players will work right.
Does anyone know if there is an incompatibility between the Sony XBR450 and progressive scan players?? Or is there some hidden setup to make it work?
Or some trick to make the JVC player work?
All help/advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it won't automatically recognize the 16:9 image when the input is progressive. As has been already suggested, try manually switching your television.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Does anybody know how to force the Sony to 16:9.
Sony's tech support doesn't seem to think you can.
Thanks,
Peter

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Under "Setup" in the menu select "Auto" for the 16:9 enhance mode. If the DVD players sends an 16:9 image, the Sony will pick it up and switch. Now if the DVD itself is not 16:9 enhanced then the TV will not switch. Check to see if the DVD is 16:9 enhanced or enhanced for 16:9 displays. I have this problem with Disneys Emperor's New Groove, which is not 16:9 enhanced.
Marshawn

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I have a Sony 36XBR450 and a JVC XV-SA75GD, and I was confused by this for a while, too.
When the JVC is set to Progressive mode (you have to hold the "progressive" button down for a few seconds, and you'll notice a green light on the unit when you get an anamorphic picture), the Setup Menu choice on the TV for 16:9 enhanced changes from "Auto" and "On" to "On and Off".
The default setting for 16:9 enhanced when the XBR receives a progressive signal (at least in my experience) is the "Off" setting. You have to manually go into the setup menu and change it to "On".
When you turn progressive mode off on the JVC, the menu choices on the TV for 16:9 go back to normal - "Auto" and "On".
You are correct to set the DVD player to 16:9 Auto.
If anyone else has this same setup, and can tell me if I'm wrong about what I said, please let me know.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Chris,
That was it !!
Thank you, and for everyone's suggestion. Neither Sony or JVC figured that out.
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread