What's new

Help setting up my first home theater (1 Viewer)

CNSTTU07

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hi All,

I have just recently finished building my home and had everything done for a 7.2 home theater system. I bought a Denon AVR-X4000 to push my Definitive Technology speakers. I actually bought the DefTech BP8060 5 speaker system. I am going to add in the side speakers and subs (if advised) here soon, but one step at a time... Here are my concerns and questions...

Since this is my first system, I must confess, I know a little, but I am unaware of what I do not know... I dont know anything about Ohms or any of that, but I know I like DefTechs, and after reading the reviews on the X4000, with 125w per channel, I am off to a good start that will make me happy (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... i know some people dont like DefTech). Can you guys help me as to how I need to set up my system to get the most out of my speakers? I asked a Denon Rep and he said that even though the X4000 is a great receiver, those 8060's can handle much more. So what do I do to get these speakers to where they need to be at for a SAFE optimal level of quality sound? Also, this is a 7.2 system. Can / should I put in subs when these towers already have subs in them? Im on the lines of I love feeling CLEAN/CRISP bass. Sound you can feel deep... The towers are amazing, but a little extra clean bass couldn't hurt right? Well with hooking that up in the receiver, am I robbing my towers of their power? I am in total darkness here.

I know this thread is a little everywhere, I just want to turn to some people that appreciate audio like me, but have the knowledge to help me get my system to where I want it to be. Clean, rich, loud audio that will not damage my speakers.

Also any advice for the side speakers to complete the 7.2 would be appreciated. I was thinking Polk RC85I, but then again, it would be ncie to keep it all DefTech

Thanks in advance guys!

Chris

Denon http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx4000

DefTech
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/bp-8060st-system

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can you guys help me as to how I need to set up my system to get the most out of my speakers?
I'm sure your receiver has an auto calibration setup. Run it. Manually measure the in-room response of your subs and see if you need an EQ on your sub channel.
I asked a Denon Rep and he said that even though the X4000 is a great receiver, those 8060's can handle much more. So what do I do to get these speakers to where they need to be at for a SAFE optimal level of quality sound?
Ignore the wattage ratings. It's an almost useless specification.
Also, this is a 7.2 system. Can / should I put in subs when these towers already have subs in them? Im on the lines of I love feeling CLEAN/CRISP bass. Sound you can feel deep... The towers are amazing, but a little extra clean bass couldn't hurt right? Well with hooking that up in the receiver, am I robbing my towers of their power? I am in total darkness here.
You can't have too much bass. A lot of people are completely satisfied with dual 10" subs like you have. I'm running dual 15's and planning to upgrade by adding an 18" or 21" sub (or maybe both).

Your receiver doesn't power a sub. Your receiver sends a low-level signal to the sub's amp.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Speaker placement of your subs and main speakers is critical in getting good sound. Subs are the most critical and the most difficult. Luckily you have dual subs as that helps dramatically.

One of your subwoofer’s biggest enemies are the walls in your room. Bass waves are omni-directional, so they tend to bounce all over the room. When they reflect off your walls, they will often bounce back into one another, creating one of two scenarios: standing waves or bass nulls.

Standing waves (which are influenced by the size of your room and the length of the sound wave) are an excess of bass energy. This occurs when a specific frequency is reinforced by room factors or by similar wavelengths occurring at roughly the same time and place. What you hear in such a case is that “boomy” effect or “one-note bass” which lacks definition or tautness. On the opposite end of the spectrum are bass nulls, which happen when reflecting waves cancel one another out, leaving you with a dead spot.
As a general rule, placing your subwoofer in a corner or close to the wall is going to result in more bass, but not necessarily the best bass. Small, low-powered subwoofers like the ones that usually come with HTiBs and soundbars tend to use small drivers paired with low-powered amps and, thus, tend to benefit from some boundary reinforcement. Unfortunately, all you’re really getting is more of the same crappy bass. While a corner is often the most convenient option, it is rarely the ideal option.

Subwoofers with larger drivers and more powerful amps don’t need to lean on your wall for help. In fact, high-quality subs tend to sound their best when pulled at least 8-12 inches from any wall. Subwoofers also work better in the front half of your listening space, placed closer to your front channel loudspeakers which helps with timing delays and phase cancellation.

If you can put your subs anywhere in the room one way to optimize your subs is to move your listening position away from where you normally sit. Now, stick your subwoofer right where your listening position used to be and play some heavy-duty bass content. Walk and crawl around the room, listening carefully for where the bass sounds most even and defined. It’s not just about that visceral kick to the gut. You want to hear the timbre (tonal quality) and texture of the notes. Put a piece of tape down on the floor when you notice things are sounding good, then move to another spot. Keep doing that until you have 3-4 options.

If you are stuck with having the subs in the front of the room follow the “Rule of Thirds” for subwoofers. The idea is that, by placing your subwoofer 1/3rd of the way into your room as measured from a wall, you reduce the instances of standing waves and nulls. Mathematically speaking, by following this guideline, the odds that where you sit will be a” good bass spot” are increased.

At any rate, getting bass right is the hardest part and the EQ component on AVR or pre/pros can't compensate for misplaced subs. It's going to take alot of experimentation unless you want to hire a professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks