Help! Rca inputs on tv stoped working.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChuckM, Aug 17, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

When I went to start up my home theater this afternoon I noticed that I wasn't getting any picture. After I did a connection check, which took forever, I came to the conclusion that rca connections (yellow,white,red) on the back of the tv died. Unfortantly I don't have s-video or componet video on my tv. So I called radioshack and they told me that I needed to get a RF modulator for $49.95. So I could hook it up through the F connector. Anyways I have a few question. Is there a lot of picture quality lost by using the rf modulator? Would it just be better to go out and buy a vcr to run it through? Does anyone know if this model RF modulator is any good? Got any other ideas, No i'm not going to buy a new tv.

TIA
    Chuck

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I am unsure what you mean by the "RCA connections on the back of the TV died." If you get no audio with no picture, then it is probably a problem with that entire video input (like VIDEO 1 or VIDEO 2, etc.). Do you have another video input you can use? If not, going through an RF modulator may be the only way to go, but your picture will definitely not be as good. Going through a VCR isn't going to give you any better picture than just buying an RF modulator, and for most DVDs Macrovision (a type of copyguard protection) will significantly distort the picture when you run a DVD signal through a VCR.

BTW, are you sure it is not your DVD player? Do you have another TV you can connect it to to try it out?

SMK

3. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I only have one video input and I tried a varity of devices through it and everytime I couldn't get a picture. So I guess I'll have to get an RF Modulator. Is there any difference in picture quality between diffrent brands of RF Modulators and is one like I listed below ok.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32831

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Do you have any non-RCA inputs? Coax? Can you get a picture any other way? How did you decide it was the RCA connectors?

5. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I'd definatley plug in a cheap antenna or cable to see if you can get a picture through the coax connector before buying a RF-modulator. I always thought the P/Q with a RF modulator was the worst for resolution right behind the regular RCA hookups but I am not 100% sure. Sounds like it's time for a new TV?[​IMG]

But the RF modulator is the cheapest bet...should be able to find one for a lot cheaper than $50 though.

Good luck. [​IMG]

6. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Hey I fixed it! After going 3 weeks without dvd sight and surround I cracked and decided to take a look for myself. I know what your thinking "what a jackass he could of been a ten million watt fried chicken". Normally I wouldn't step 6 feet in front of an open crt, but as it turns out the part that contains the rca inputs was nothing more then a expansion card, lucky me [​IMG] . So when i took it out I discovered that all it was is that the solder was pretty much removed from the surroundings of the video jacks lead. So remove a litter solder there and add a little there and it's fixed.

YOU SHOULD NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER OPEN UP YOUR PC MONITOR OR TELEVISION, WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING, AND USING/WEARING THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT. NEVER USE AN
    ANTI-STATIC WRIST STRAP NEVER.

And remeber a tech's life is worth less then yours, especially if they charge you a $100/h. Ya that's mean.

7. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

they are however less likely to get electrocuted than you are [​IMG]

8. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

CRT's aren't that bad to work on just a couple rules of thumb to always remember....

1.) stay away from the neck of the tube
    2.) let someone who knows what they're doing work on it
    3.) dont get anywhere close to the really big capacitors
    4.) let someone who knows what they're doing work on it
    5.) wear rubber gloves
    6.) let someone who knows what they're doing work on it![​IMG]

9. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I definitly agree with jeremy on 2,4,and 6. As well as 1,3, and 5.