What's new

Help...questions about possible speaker problem (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Lemme set this up;
May 1st I bought the "Superman" DVD's. After a year I had decided to buy the necessary speakers (center, rear, subwoofer, etc) so on May 2nd, I did.
So I have 2 sets of front speakers (1 set I bought with my receiver a year ago...normal sized for stereos), 2 rear speakers, 1 center, 1 subwoofer.
Now the speaker set I got is from Sony. Nothing big mind you, the rear/front ones are smallish.
So I have everything hooked up to my JVC reciever and sit back to enjoy "Superman 1" with the super sound effects.
The opening credits roll and for a few seconds my rear speakers crackle. Naturally I freak out and stop the DVD. I turn own the volume and try again, crackled again (but ONLY the rear speakers mind you.) So I go through the reciever settings and see that the volume on my rear speakers was set to 10. OK so now I turn it down to 5, I try the DVD again and this time, no crackling. Phew! Problem solved right?
Well my question is, can a few seconds of distortion damage a small set of rear speakers? Because on a lot of DVD's (especially during music bits where there's some piano playing) it doesn't sound right. A bit distorted really...kinda fuzzy, not clear like I think it should be.
So I switch the "bad" rear speakers with the equal in size front ones. The formerly rear speakers sound just fine connected to the front and now the former fronts have the same slight distortion when hooked to the rear. So it can't be the speakers then right? Could it be the reciever? Could the loud sound hurt the rear connections on it? Is that even possible?
I checked to make sure ALL the speakers were within the right range (ohms I think they're called) for my reciever too.
Are rear speakers supposed to be as clear as front/center ones?
Did I damage anything by having the volume up on the rear channel for a few seconds or is this normal? I only had my new speakers for a day and only had watched "Superman" but nothing else so I have no other discs to compare it to before this happened.
So HTF experts....any thoughts?
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael,
Your test proved without a doubt that you didn't damage your speakers.
Now about your back-channels.
You'll have to check all settings (including possibly treble/bass settings if they are separate on those channels). Also, are your speaker impedances compatible (8 or 4 Ohms)?
I also wonder (although it should not be able to influence your rears directly) how you hooked up those double sets of fronts. Did you already perform an adjust-session (e.g. hiss test) to set all speakers equally loud? Do you have the AVIA disk (or Video Essentials) to help you setup your system properly?
That distortion in the rears shouldn't be there!
Cees

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you get this crackling sound on many different movies from the rear outputs only (since your test proved it wasn't the speakers), it may boil down to a bad receiver.
If you can take it back, I would suggest doing so (although, it sounds like you've had the receiver for much longer than the speakers), but I'd recommend that you try a receiver other than JVC. Not to put too fine a point on it, I have never had good experiences with JVC products. Never. My friend and even his mother have bought JVC stuff too. Always in the shop.
I would definitely consider looking at a Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, etc. receiver to replace that JVC if you find that the cost to repair it would negate its value to you.
Is the receiver ProLogic or DTS/Dolby Digital? If the former, that would be a great excuse to move up to the digital surround formats, maybe even the newer 7.1 style.
Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks