What's new

Help please! :) (1 Viewer)

MichaelKT

Auditioning
Real Name
Macky
So guys, I just bought a Samsung 40' 3DTV. At the back, there are 2 HDMI (1 is HDMI/DVI) ports, and a component/av in port.
Now my 5.1 home theatre has 1 HDMI out and 1 Digital Optical In.
I need help in making my PS3 play sounds in 5.1. Currently, My PS3 is connected to the HDMI/DVI of my TV. Then my home theatre is connected to the HDMI 2 of my TV. Still no sound. Why?
Does it have to be like this;
PS3 has a optical cable from PS3 to home theatre. (with HDMI connected to TV for picture.)??
Thanks!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi, Michael, welcome to HTF!
I would plug HDMI from the PS3 to one of the HDMI *inputs* on your home theater receiver, then run the HDMI output of the home theater system to the TV. That way, you will deliver high-res sound to the receiver, and picture to the TV.
The receiver becomes the hub of your system. All inputs should connect to it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
There may be a setting on the PS3 for sound that you have to set for it to play over HDMI. If all else fails, you can run optical from the PS3 to the receiver, but you will miss out on high-res audio.

MichaelKT

Auditioning
Real Name
Macky
isnt optical out supposed to be better?
So, thats what I do right? PS3 to Home Theatre via Optical. PS3 is Optical out and Home Theatre is Optical in.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Optical doesn't carry lossless audio. But is this HTiB even capable of lossless?
Better question...
Is this HTiB a DVD/HTiB or a BD/HTiB?
If it is BD, you don't care about lossless from the PS3.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
So the receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs? Then you will have to use optical. You can get cheap but quality optical cables at Monoprice.com or Amazon Basic.
HDMI is high-resolution. Optical is DTS core only or Dolby Digital, not high-resolution.

MichaelKT

Auditioning
Real Name
Macky
im not really an audiophile anyways, so it doesnt matter. i just want the 5.1 to be working. :p
its a DVD player/home theatre. and as i stated awhile ago, it only has optical in and hdmi out. :)

MichaelKT

Auditioning
Real Name
Macky
not really an audiophile so I don't mind. Just want the 5.1 to be working.
And the DVD player/ht has optical in and hdmi out as stated earlier. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Couple of things you need to do...
Make sure you turn on the DEFAULT Dolby track on each disc. Because you bought a HTiB with limited capabilities, you have to deal with those limited abilities.
HTiB are only intended to have a cable/sat box connected. OTA(which cable/sat count as OTA) is only Dolby Digital. There is no DTS...no "nothing else".
So, go into your PS3 menu and see what settings there are(I don't own one so if you can "do this once", great. If you have to do this for every disc, you are the one trying to do something with your HTiB that wasn't intended).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What make and model number is the htib and also which PS3 do you have (there were a couple of different ones). Some of the older htib's didn't apply 5.1 to external sources, only it's internal dvd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks