What's new

Help Please (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
There's a Christmas episode in the first season of "Due South" - "The Gift of the Wheelman".

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

The book that Diane wrote includes all the Christmas episodes that aired on TV, while the list I posted the link to is just the Christmas episodes released on DVD. Diane just sent me a list of 100 more titles to add....

Gord

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'd like to see the updated list too, Gord. Hope you can add it soon.

Gary "I'd love to buy the book, but I wish I knew how thorough it really was before plunking down that much cash" O.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Gary, I bought the book last year. I would give it four out of five stars only because I'd rather have just had an alphabetical listing of the TV series and their Christmas episodes rather than having them discussed by topics (i.e. Christmas Carol themed, trying-to-find-the-right-tree, Santa Claus)....plus there aren't any color pictures and I feel that a book on Christmas should ALWAYS have color photos! But it was nice to read about all the different Christmas episodes of various shows and the black and white photos are nice too.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Sorry, but there's no way I could list all of them...that's why the list is in book form:) You should just buy it!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Some other Christmas episodes on R1 DVD:

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS - "Santa Claus & the 10th Avenue Kid", Season 1, Disc 1

THE AVENGERS - "Too Many Christmas Trees", AVENGERS '65/EMMA PEEL MEGA SET Vol. 4, also on BEST OF THE ORIGINAL AVENGERS Disc 1

(One of the very best AVENGERS episodes ever, and with its Dickensian yuletide backdrop, the perfect thing to play in between the 1951 Alastair Sim version of SCROOGE/A CHRISTMAS CAROL (which shares actors Patrick MacNee and Mervyn Johns) and the "Christmas" James Bond film, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (which also features Diana Rigg))

LOST IN SPACE - "Return from Outer Space", Season 1, Disc 4

MR. BEAN - "Merry Christmas Mr. Bean", THE WHOLE BEAN Vol. 2

SCTV - "SCTV Staff Christmas Party", Season 2, Disc 4

STINGRAY - "A Christmas to Remember", Vol. 5

THUNDERBIRDS - "Give or Take a Million", Vol. 11

THE WILD WILD WEST - "Night of the Whirring Death", Season 1, Disc 5

--Also, for those of you who have Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND 2-Disc SE, disc 2 has "ONE NIGHT IN WONDERLAND", an hour-long Christmas TV special, sponsored by Coca-Cola*, made to promote ALICE's then-upcoming debut release to theaters, and Walt Disney's first TV production, sort of a warm-up for his DISNEYLAND/WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY program.

*Trivia note: the pretty gal in the Santa suit, who presents the viewers with a platter full of ice-cold Cokes at the opening of the program, is an uncredited (IMDB doesn't even list it) early appearance by future movie and TV actress, Vera Miles (THE SEARCHERS, THE WRONG MAN, THE FBI STORY, PSYCHO, TWILIGHT ZONE: "Mirror Image", the 1st episode of THE FUGITIVE: "Fear in a Desert City", THE OUTER LIMITS: "The Forms of Things Unknown", etc)!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Peter, what makes you put this WWW episode down as a Christmas one? I never considered it that way, but I'd be interested to hear why you'd classify it as such. Having said that, I may be thinking of something entirely different. I'll need to pull my dvds out and watch this one again.

Gary "I'll try and get my list of Christmas episodes up soon" O.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

I hadn't watched the episode in a few years (and hadn't made my way to that point in the DVD set yet), so I just popped "Whirring Death" into my player and watched the opening minutes of it. Looks like my memory was playing tricks on me. Oops.

It turns out that it doesn't specifically take place at Christmas, although guest star Norman Fell is definitely playing a Scrooge-like miser character, with a "Bob Cratchit"-esque (though elderly) employee, sitting at a writing desk with a feather quill pen. However, the episode's plot doesn't re-tell "A Christmas Carol"... Fell's "Jeremiah Ratch" doesn't remain alive long enough for that to happen. A Salvation Army-type gal is trying to sell toys to raise money for orphans. Dr. Loveless is giving out booby-trapped killer toys to wealthy San Francisco residents. Characters are wearing cold-weather attire (scarfs, gloves, overcoats), but there's no snow (my memory fooled me into thinking it was lightly snowing during the scenes when Fell is chastising the kids in the street).

So, a combination of factors-- toys, street urchins, a Scrooge-like guy, cold-weather clothing, a Salvation Army woman, an erroneous memory of snow falling --lead me to believe it was a Christmas-set episode.

I guess you could it a pseudo-Christmas episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks