Help . . . Please .... How to print list of file names in afolder

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Stephen Cook, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Stephen Cook

Stephen Cook Auditioning

Hello... First of all , I must confess that I have lurked about this wonderful forum for over a year...in fact , You all helped me make decisions that got me involved in the Home Theater Experience!!! Thank You All So Much!
    For my question at hand . . . I have a computer running XP Home and I run NTFS, I have two hard drives set up on it 60gb for the OS and other programs, and a 200gb for a music library. The 200gb has only one folder on it, it contains all of my music i recorded into it... ok... to the question ... how do I get the list of file names within the folder to print out ? I would like to have a list of the songs that I on there,they are all saved in the wav format, right now...just over 1060 songs and growing.
    Thank You All so Much for You Help...both Past and Present !
    Stephen Cook

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is something I have wished windows would do natively for a while. I know there are utilities out there to do it, and I guess you could use a dos prompt to pipe the directory contents to a printer or a text file.

I'm sure someone here has a utility they could suggest...

-Vince

3. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

There are a number of free utils out there for this. The best I've found is JR Directory Printer. Search for it on download.com

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I use a utility called ExpPrint. It's very easy to use. You can print file names, extensions, sizes, dates etc. I usually export the data to Excel then sort and format to my liking. Here's a link: ExpPrint

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

6. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

It's easy. Go to Start / Run and type "cmd". Then type "cd " to change to the directory you wish to print. Then type "dir > list.txt". This will output the directory contents to a text file, which you can then print. There are other options to the dir command; you can find them by typing "dir /?".

EDIT: Just read the thread in Kyle's reply. Same as my solution.

7. Stephen Cook

Stephen Cook Auditioning

Thank You All ... Great People here... I went and downloaded Jr Directory Printer... just what I wanted !!!
    Thanks Again !!!! Stephen

8. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

You can also try (at the command prompt)

tree /f > textfile.txt